PDA

View Full Version : GYM TALK

Soup_TT
18-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Ha, Billy Train...

On that note, Zack and I did go and sus out some of the gyms on Sunday. We looked at FF Platinum(Bundall : 22.95), and FF(Robina 20.95), had a quick look at Jets but I don't want to attend there. PCYC Bundall was closed (8-2pm on sundays) , so i will check out the inside of the gym tonight, though there pricing is 13p/week or 476 for an annual pass.

I'm leaning towards PCYC as of the huge price difference, though Zack is leaning towards FF due to the girl difference, although we have not been to PCYC yet.

PS. Will reply to your email later today, no internet @ home = Fail.

Kurt = EPIC Fail.. I expect an essay reply to my email as well, lol, I took some time into typing all that stuff up ya know..??? :p

Don't bother wasting your time at Jetts. If all you want is access to a treadmill then it's fine, but if your serious about bodybuilding, it's not where you want to be seen. You'll find corporate schmucks training there, but it's not the place to go to get motivated and inspired by comp level BB's.

Fitness First have good facilities and they are all over the shop. You never have an excuse to miss a training session, but they are absolute dogs when it comes to any membership issues, and have a very hard and pushy sales force which I dislike. I got to a gym to train, not be hassled by membership consultants about giving contact numbers of friends and family so they can telemarket the hell out of them. I don't care about the $1000 trip to an exotic island that I could win, because chances are that there isn't a gym on that island and I will miss my training sessions if I do go. :rolleyes:

If the PCYC gym is good, go for it. Otherwise Fitness First do have good facilities although they are comparitively expensive.

Also, the prices that you've been quoted are retail prices. You should be aiming to bargain so that there's no Administration Fee, You'll probably have to pay the joining fee (~$70), and for a Gold Pass aim for around $17 a week or so (my friend's GF got a gold pass for $10 a week at FF early last year, I couldn't believe it). Don't be afraid to walk out of a Fitness First if you don't get the price you want, you can always go to another one and try signing up there.

P.S. 18days into the New Year and you haven't trained.. Do you even remember what a barbell looks like...??? :p

Kurt
18-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Kurt = EPIC Fail.. I expect an essay reply to my email as well, lol, I took some time into typing all that stuff up ya know..??? :p

Don't bother wasting your time at Jetts. If all you want is access to a treadmill then it's fine, but if your serious about bodybuilding, it's not where you want to be seen. You'll find corporate schmucks training there, but it's not the place to go to get motivated and inspired by comp level BB's.

Fitness First have good facilities and they are all over the shop. You never have an excuse to miss a training session, but they are absolute dogs when it comes to any membership issues, and have a very hard and pushy sales force which I dislike. I got to a gym to train, not be hassled by membership consultants about giving contact numbers of friends and family so they can telemarket the hell out of them. I don't care about the $1000 trip to an exotic island that I could win, because chances are that there isn't a gym on that island and I will miss my training sessions if I do go. :rolleyes:

If the PCYC gym is good, go for it. Otherwise Fitness First do have good facilities although they are comparitively expensive.

Also, the prices that you've been quoted are retail prices. You should be aiming to bargain so that there's no Administration Fee, You'll probably have to pay the joining fee (~$70), and for a Gold Pass aim for around $17 a week or so (my friend's GF got a gold pass for $10 a week at FF early last year, I couldn't believe it). Don't be afraid to walk out of a Fitness First if you don't get the price you want, you can always go to another one and try signing up there.

P.S. 18days into the New Year and you haven't trained.. Do you even remember what a barbell looks like...??? :p

Oh don't you worry you will be recieving an essay soon enough. Just do some additional research into it all.

Actually totally agreed with Jetts, Zack and I had a quick glimpse through the window... I don't think I saw a bench press, let alone a squat rack !?!

Yeah, the FF Platinum we looked had had some pretty insane facilities, alot of it much over the top but oh well.. (Spa's in the gym ?)
As with all mainstream gyms though they are very similar amongst the "get the membership commision and then just leave them". Ha, so that means you don't go on holidays ?!? ahha. Or your main holiday must are "Gym must be in hotel and it much have a squat rack"

On that note, I was well, well disapointed at the Free Weights section in FF, at the gold coast. They do have squat racks, but I was hoping / expecting a full Power Rack, with adjustable saftey levels etc...

Umm, no prices are actually discounted not much though. I was down from 25.95 P/Week to 22.95. 1 Dollar Membership fee, and a 70 Admin/Joining Fee.

Yes, i know. Its been a while, but i'm slowly organizing things to getting it all back up and running. I finally ofloaded my previous membership to someone, so that is all sorted out. And begun the hunt for a new gym. Soon enough billy. Then we will have to train together a couple of times :P

Soup_TT
18-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Lol we got our own thread because everyone got sick of us talking about Bodybuilding.. Haha, lol.

Which Fitness First gym lacked the free weights..? I've only trained at the non-platinum one in Robina, and it's not too bad. They had all the dumbbells that I needed and they had two squat racks out of which one has adjustable arms and the other one was a fixed one.

Where I normally train during the working week (Mt. Gravatt), we have three squat racks. Two are adjustable and one is fixed height.

I pay $39.95 a fortnight for a Gold Membership. No Administration Fee and a $70 Joining Fee. It's not too bad, but I didn't exactly get a bargain either. Now that my contract is up, I'm going to see if I can re-negotiate it to a lower rate.

Haha, I don't take holidays dude.. If I was to take a holiday, yes I would train during the holidays. Going to the gym and training isn't a chore for me, I look forward to it every day of the week so of course I'm going to do something I enjoy while on holidays.. =)

Speaking of holidays, I'm umming and arring about going to Las Vegas during September this year to watch the Mr. Olympia contest. I might even have an opportunity to train in Gold's Gym at the same time as Jay Cutler is. =)

I'm still thinking this over though. I might not go, we'll see.

JZA70 Limited
18-01-2010, 12:50 PM
bugger me. i paid 495 and have full access to the three biggest gyms in townsville (all owned by the same people) for a year. got it for half price though from some promotion they had going before christmas.

BiG SeXY
18-01-2010, 01:00 PM
When I think about the gym I touch myself

JZA70 Limited
18-01-2010, 01:27 PM
When I think about the gym I touch myself

makes sense, no one else will.

spades
18-01-2010, 02:13 PM
lol was only a matter of time before this happened

Meji
18-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I might need a gym partner soon - I start my Diploma of Fitness in 2 weeks :)

BiG SeXY
18-01-2010, 02:42 PM
makes sense, no one else will.

Haha I actually laughed at this

Billy, when u making the trip to Thailand?

Soup_TT
18-01-2010, 02:54 PM
For anyone who's interested, I've attached my workout program that I'm following during my "Mass Gain" / Bulking phase for the next few months.

Based on the following article from Lyle McDonald (I have a lot of respect for this guy, he writes some of the best articles I've ever seen with a no bull**** approach).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html

For anyone that's interested in learning more about Training, Nutrition and Rest & Recovery in a elaborate, but easy to understand way go through the Articles on Lyle's Website at: - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Soup_TT
18-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Billy, when u making the trip to Thailand?

What am I supposed to be doing in Thailand..??? :confused:

BiG SeXY
18-01-2010, 03:01 PM
What am I supposed to be doing in Thailand..??? :confused:

Roids are legal there..... might give u a chance at catching up to me

Soup_TT
18-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Roids are legal there..... might give u a chance at catching up to me

You are the perfect definition of a "Gym Idiot". Why do I want to stoop down to your level..??? :D

Kurt
19-01-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.thesupplementden.com.au/articles.php?article=84

Thought you might be interested in this billy. Although not sure how long your cut is going for.

Regards, Kurt.

^^^ lol in work mode.

Soup_TT
19-01-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.thesupplementden.com.au/articles.php?article=84

Thought you might be interested in this billy. Although not sure how long your cut is going for.

Regards, Kurt.

^^^ lol in work mode.

I'm Mass Gaining / Bulking you germ...!!! :mad:

I may do it, my Mass Gain phase will be close to completion by that stage and I could start my cut slightly early... Hmmmm, I'm certainly not competition level, but I think this a "amateur" comp anyway so I won't be competing against real BB's which may make it easier.

I'll let you know if I enter.. ;)

Thanks for the link.

Meji
19-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey Billy, that Lyle McDonald article on mass gaining was actually very interesting. Would you have anymore informing, no bull**** articles? None of this GET RIPPED IN 4 WEEKS crap...

Soup_TT
19-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Lyle McDonald is awesome... I'm actually buying some of his books just for my own reading and learning.

I posted the link to Lyle's Website above. Check it out, he's got quite a few articles and FAQ's etc. Really interesting reading. I'm still trying to go through all the articles, and then revising some of his older ones.

Meji
19-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Ah cool, thanks Billy. Should be good reading material once I hit the ground running...should be under 2 weeks :)

Kurt
19-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I actually meant bulking. It was me in a hurry to type that lol...

This is more intended for best before and after, so it really is in anyones hand.. As far as im aware...

Oh well 500$ free supps makes it well worthwhile. if you win :P

midnight_purple_GA70
19-01-2010, 12:32 PM
you guys all love a bit of protien waaaaaaay too much

Kurt
19-01-2010, 12:36 PM
i was going to post pictures here, but its not worth the **** i would cop. So i thought i would put in a Clicky.

Clicky ! (http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/8185-members-pics-41.html#post86873)

KGB
19-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Why would we have a dedicated thread to Jim .. He sold his soop & fooked of to Victoria so he must be Cutting .. Mwhaaaaa

Keith: Billy im just pulling Ya Jingle Bell:p:D

Kurt
20-01-2010, 07:51 AM
HOW TO SQUAT FOR HUGE ARMS

By Stuart McRobert

To build muscle mass, you must increase strength. It’s that simple. You will never get huge arms, a monstrous back, a thick chest, or massive legs without lifting heavy weights. I know that probably doesn’t come as a revelation to anyone. But despite how obvious it seems, far too many people (and not just beginners) neglect power training and rarely make increasing the weights lifted in each successive workout a priority. You must get strong in the basic mass building exercises to bring about a significant increase in muscle size. One of the biggest mistakes typical bodybuilders make is when they implement specialization routines before they have the right to use them.

It constantly amazes me just how many neophytes (beginners), near neophytes, and other insufficiently developed bodybuilders plunge into single-body part specialization programs in the desperate attempt to build big arms. I don’t fault them for wanting big arms, but their approach to getting them is flawed. For the typical bodybuilder who is miles away from squatting 1 Ĺ times their bodyweight for 20 reps (if you weigh 180 lbs., that means 20 reps with 270 lbs.), an arm specialization program is utterly inappropriate and useless.

The strength and development needed to squat well over 1 Ĺ times bodyweight for 20 reps will build bigger arms faster then focusing on biceps and triceps training with isolation exercises. Even though squats are primarily a leg exercise, they stress and stimulate the entire body. But more importantly, if you are able to handle heavy weights in the squat, it logically follows that the rest of your body will undoubtedly be proportionally developed. It’s a rare case that you would be able to squat 1 Ĺ times your bodyweight and not have a substantial amount of upper body muscle mass.

This is not to say that you don’t need to train arms, and squats alone will cause massive upper body growth. You will still work every body part, but you must focus on squats, deadlifts, and rows—the exercises that develop the legs, hips, and back. Once you master the power movements and are able to handle impressive poundages on those lifts, the strength and muscle you gain will translate into greater weights used in arm, shoulder and chest exercises.

In every gym I’ve ever visited or trained in, there were countless teenage boys blasting away on routines, dominated by arm exercises, in the attempt to build arms like their idols. In the ‘70s, they wanted arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger, in the ‘80s Robby Robinson was a favorite and currently Mr. Olympia, Ronnie Coleman, has set the standard everyone wants to achieve. Unfortunately the 3 aforementioned men as well as most other top bodybuilders have arm development far beyond the reach of the average (or even above average) weight trainer. But arm size can be increased. However, not in the way young trainers, with physiques that don’t even have the faintest resemblance to those of bodybuilders are attempting to make progress. Thin arms, connected to narrow shoulders, fixed to shallow chest, joined to frail backs and skinny legs, don’t need body part specialization programs. Let’s not have skewed priorities. Let’s not try to put icing on the cake before the cake has been baked.

Priorities
Trying to stimulate a substantial increase in size in a single body part, without first having the main structures of the body in pretty impressive condition, is to have turned bodybuilding upside-down, inside-out and back to front.

The typical bodybuilder simply isn’t going to get much meat on his arms, calves, shoulders, pectorals and neck unless he first builds a considerable amount of muscle around the thighs, hips and back. It simply isn’t possible—for the typical drug-free bodybuilder, that is—to add much if any size to the small areas unless the big areas are already becoming substantial. There’s a knock-on (additive) effect from the efforts to add substantial size to the thigh, hip and back structure (closely followed by upper body pushing structure-pecs and delts). The smaller muscle groups, like the biceps, and triceps will progress in size (so long as you don’t totally neglect them) pretty much in proportion to the increase in size of the big areas. It’s not a case of getting big and strong thighs, hips, back and upper-body pushing structure with everything else staying put. Far from it. As the thigh, hip, back and upper-body pushing structure grows, so does everything else. Work hard on squats and deadlifts, in addition to bench presses, overhead presses and some type of row or pulldown. Then you can add a little isolation work—curls, calf raises and neck work (but not all of this at every workout).

The “Driver”
The key point is that the “engine” that drives the gains in the small areas is the progress being made in the big areas. If you take it easy on the thigh and back you will, generally speaking, have trouble making gains in the other exercises, no matter how hard you work the latter.

All this isn’t to say just do squats, deadlifts and upper back work, quite closely followed by some upper-body pressing work. While such a limited program will deliver good gains on these few exercises, with some knock-on effect throughout the body, it’s not a year after year program. Very abbreviated routines are great for getting gains moving, and for building a foundation for moderately expanded routines. They are fine to keep returning to on a regular basis. The other training isn’t necessary all in the same workout but spread over the week. This will maintain balance throughout the body and capitalize upon the progress made in the thigh, hip and back structure.

Just remember that the thigh, hip and back structure comes first and is the “driver” (closely followed by the upper-body pushing structure) for the other exercises. These other exercises, though important in their own right, are passengers relative to the driving team.

Big Arms
To get big arms, get yourself on a basic program that focuses on the leg, hip and back structure without neglecting the arms themselves. As you improve your squatting ability, for reps and by say 100 pounds, your curling poundage should readily come up by 30 pounds or so if you work hard enough on your curls. This will add size to your biceps. While adding 100 pounds to your squat, you should be able to add 50-70 pounds to your bench press, for reps. This assumes you’ve put together a sound program and have worked hard on the bench. That will add size to your triceps.

If you’re desperate to add a couple of inches to your upper arms you’ll need to add 30 pounds or more over your body, unless your arms are way behind the rest of you. Don’t start thinking about 17” arms, or even 16” arms so long as your bodyweight is 130, 140, 150, 160, or even 170 pounds. Few people can get big arms without having a big body. You’re unlikely to be one of the exceptions.

15 sets of arm flexor exercises, and 15 sets of isolation tricep exercises—with a few squats, deadlifts and bench presses thrown in as an afterthought—will give you a great pump and attack the arms from “all angles”. However, it won’t make your arms grow much, if at all, unless you’re already squatting and benching big poundages, or are drug-assisted or genetically gifted.

As your main structures come along in size and strength (thigh, hip and back structure, and the pressing structure), the directly involved smaller body parts are brought along in size too. How can you bench press or dip impressive poundages without adding a lot of size to your triceps? How can you deadlift the house and row big weights without having the arm flexors—not to mention the shoulders and upper back—to go with those lifts? How can you squat close to 2 times bodyweight, for plenty of reps, without having a lot of muscle all over your body?

Kurt
20-01-2010, 07:52 AM
The greater the development and strength of the main muscular structures of the body, the greater the size and strength potential of the small areas of the body. Think it through. Suppose you can only squat and deadlift with 200 pounds, and your arms measure about 13Ē. Youíre unlikely to add any more than half an inch or so on them, no matter how much arm specialization you put in.

However, put some real effort into the squat and deadlift, together with the bench press and a few other major basic movements. Build up the poundages by 50% or more, to the point where you can squat 300 pounds for over 10 reps, and pack on 30 pounds of muscle. Then, unless you have an unusual arm structure, you should be able to get your arms to around 16Ē. If you want 17Ē arms, plan on having to squat more than a few reps with around 2 times bodyweight, and on adding many more pounds of muscle throughout your body (unless you have a better-than-average growth potential in your upper arms).

All of this arm development would have been achieved without a single concentration curl, without a single pushdown and without a single preacher curl. This lesson in priorities proves that the shortest distance between you and big arms is not a straight line to a curl bar."

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Good article Kurt... It was a good read. Helps to dispel the myth that we see happening to often with people putting too much emphasis on the smaller muscle groups and as a result the larger muscle groups, i.e. Quads, Hamstrings, Lats and Pectorals suffer and are de-prioritized.

I'll try and look for a good article to post up which dispels another common n00b mistake. You can't build muscle out of thin air. You need to eat with the purpose of fueling an increase in LBM.

spades
20-01-2010, 12:21 PM
hey found they now have shreded chicked in tins jsut like the tuna with diff flavours, havnt tried it yet but atleast its somethign different for yr emergency packs

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 12:31 PM
hey found they now have shreded chicked in tins jsut like the tuna with diff flavours, havnt tried it yet but atleast its somethign different for yr emergency packs

Post up the macro nutrient information, i.e. serving size, protein, carbohydrates (complex & simple) and fats (trans, sat, mono, poly) when you get a chance. ;)

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Saturated Fats
Saturated fats are found almost exclusively in animal products (two exceptions are coconut and palm kernel oil) and are solid at room temperature. Traditionally, the impact of saturated fats on blood lipid levels and heart disease risk has been thought to be universally negative but it turns out to be much more complicated than this. While some saturated fats do reliably raise blood cholesterol levels (primarily due to an impact on liver metabolism), others are completely neutral. Anybody interested in this topic may wish to read the journal article Saturated Fats: What Dietary Intake (http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/550?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1097233292054_2953&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&volume=80&firstpage=550&resourcetype=1&journalcode=ajcn).
As well, as I mentioned above there is far more to heart disease risk than just blood cholesterol levels. And, as also noted above, the overall impact of any fat (including saturated fats) on health risk depends on the context of their intake. In one context (e.g. low fruit/vegetable/anti-oxidant intake, high stress, inactivity, high body fat, excessive total energy intake), a high saturated fat intake may be exceedigly harmful. In a different context (e.g. high fruit/vegetable intake, low stress, high activity, low body fat, appropriate energy intake), they may have no effect. I hope that any of the pro-saturated fat folks reading this article will read this paragraph a couple of times before they leave me comments about how Iím anti-saturated fats.
Iíd finish by noting that saturated fats are not an essential nutrient. They arenít required for life and, even if they were, the body can produce them from other sources.

Taken from: -

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-nutrition-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-nutrition-part-2.html

Both the above articles are a great read for anyone who wants a basic and broad overview of nutrition in general.

Lyle McDonald FTW... GB on his books anyone..?? Hahaha :D

spades
20-01-2010, 12:40 PM
ffs their web site has no info so i guess ill have to wait till i get some. might grab some tonight shopping. this is the link with the different flavs

http://www.heinz.com.au/Food/FoodEntry.aspx?catID=14

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Order placed for "The Ultimate Diet 2.0" and "The Protein Book".... =)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/store

topgun80
20-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Do steroids and get the arni book ,ronnie , flex , jay, ect have good tips watch there videos

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Not keen on going into AAS Supplementation at this stage.

I have watched the DVD's of Jay Cutler, Ronnie "Big Ron" Coleman, however you need to keep in mind that although they may have good tips, what they do may not necessarily apply as best practice for natural bodybuilders. You can't take the training concepts that apply to a Bodybuilder who supplements with AAS and try and apply them to a natural. Also, the Olympia Level Bodybuilders and their current training videos and style will differ from their training style that they used to initially put on all their L.B.M. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Olympia competition and I follow it closely, but as far as Natural Bodybuilders go, I look up to the likes of Layne Norton, Kris Gethin, etc.

topgun80
20-01-2010, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Soup_TT;114711]Not keen on going into AAS Supplementation at this stage.

Well noted and when i started i was in that frame of mind , but the amount of money you spend on supplements ect you might as well . You drink , smoke , take drugs , its just ok to do these things these days . Steroids are looked upon as cheating but why ? If you wont fast results and a deadly body start off with tab s , Remember 80% of your results will come down to eating , when , how much , how often , ect .

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Definitely don't look down upon steroids or people who use them.. It's just a personal choice that everyone needs to make for themselves. I don't know enough about steroids to consider them at this stage, and I'd like to reach the limit of my genetic potential before I even consider them. At this stage I'm looking to stay natural and even possibly compete in tested natural competitions in a few years time.

I don't spend too much on supplementation.. Just your standard stuff, like Multi-Vitamins, Whey, Casein, Creatine, Pre Workout N.O. and that's it.

P.S. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs... =)

topgun80
20-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't spend too much on supplementation.. Just your standard stuff, like Multi-Vitamins, Whey, Casein, Creatine, Pre Workout N.O. and that's it.

Mv you just piss out if you eat good , Creatine is good but thats a steroid so you half way there :p , good protien with high in sugars if your building size through a egg in , L glutimine is good for recovery , 8 hrs sleep a day and when you get drunk it puts you back 1 week !

P.S Your farts must stink

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes, I find that I am farting 24/7 pretty much and I'm used to the smell. You gotta do what you gotta do right...?? :D It's not too bad, you walk into the boss' office, silently drop your guts and then bail and shut the door so when he comes back from his meeting his office stinks.. Haha.

Always get 8 hours a night of sleep, sometimes even 10 hours if I have time.

I've attached my meal plan. ;)

topgun80
20-01-2010, 03:48 PM
How bout this one , lifts when you leave , night clubs once i cleared a dance floor , some shouted " who shat there pants " lol

Soup_TT
20-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Haha, lol, mine aren't that bad yet.... =D

spades
21-01-2010, 09:47 AM
thats caue he actually shat his pant billy ;p

Kurt
22-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Billy,

Whilst looking at all these gyms i'm disgusted at the pricing. Say if i got to FF I pay 22.95 a week + a $70 admin fee. That works out to be $1263.40 p/year....

I'm seriously considering setting up a home gym at the moment. (Going to bring it up with the folks tonight).

Already have Adjustable DB up to 20KG.

and purchasing this:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/1-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack-with-high-low-pulley--+-ASFID-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-145kg-Olympic-weights-$1450/528.htm

MMPRHLP power rack with high low pulley, click here (http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/MMPRWHLPS--Power-Rack-with-High-Low-Pulley/499.htm) to see its specification
ASFID super bench (Flat-Incline-Upright-Decline) bench, click here (http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/ASFID-Super-FID-Bench/467.htm) to see its specification
** Leg brace are included & Preacher pad or Leg developer can be purchased separately

220cm brass bushing Olympic barbell, rated 700lbs, spring collars included
2 x Olympic adapter for high low pulley
145kg Rubber coated Olympic plate, steel core ring, ezy grip, 2x20kg, 2x15kg, 4x10kg, 4x5kg, 4x2.5kg, 4x1.25kg
So For $1600 apprx i can set up my own gym. Thats $350 more and I can train when ever and sell it if i get over it. I think its a much wiser investment.

Opinions ?

JZA70 Limited
22-01-2010, 08:20 AM
my opinion is that it will work in your favour for a little while. the good thing about going to the gym is the motovation you get to go hard. the gym has a lot more machines and free weights. You can isolate alot more different muscle groups using different machines that you would have a difficult time controlling if you were using free weights, especially once you start becomming fatigued.

Kurt
22-01-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't actually use Machines at all, (i lie, very very rarely)..

The advantages of free weights are much greater...

Bench
Squat
Deadlift
O/H Press
Military Press
Power Clean
etc.

All the exercices you need. No machines needed.

I will most likely have a training partner meet at my house. That will be my "extra" motivation. I will train alone if i have too.

spades
22-01-2010, 09:11 AM
this looks pretty good kurt
i got a b press , crooked bar and dumb bells at home i use but the only thing i cant really do with it all is squats as i have no fail safe.

Soup_TT
22-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Hmmm, I don't know Kurt.. Having a home gym certainly wouldn't work for me, I do actually enjoy going into the gym, seeing the regular gym junkies and having a 2 - 3 minute chat in between sets while resting. We do have around 3 comp level natural BB's in my gym who all are good to have a chat with as well etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't go to the gym to socialize, but there's no harm in chatting between sets or while you're waiting for a bench or machine to free up.

Also, if you're about to lift something heavy and you know people are watching from the corner of their eye you think "****, I better not screw up, else I'm going to look like a tool". That's only one example, there are plenty more reasons why I choose to train at the gym.

I guess when you think about it over the course of the year, gym membership can add up to be quite a lot so if you think that you'll be motivated, happy and the equipment you are buying will be enough for you (think long term), then it's a worthwhile consideration.

P.S. What happened to the PCYC Gym..? What was the outcome..?

P.P.S. I also don't know why you're looking at a FF Gold Pass. The blue pass will be cheaper (provided you only train at one gym). Also you can probably get $2 - $5 off your weekly rate if you haggle. I didn't want to act like a cheap ass when I got my membership but now I'm regretting it because I would have gotten a cheaper price.

zack
22-01-2010, 10:51 AM
How much is the Blue Pass Billy do you know?

I am inclined to look at Fitness First, but I dont think Kurt is due to cost. I get a discount cause I am a corperate member due to work but yeah...

Soup_TT
22-01-2010, 11:34 AM
By default it's something like $15.95 a week.. Without any haggling...

I do sometimes use some of the frills that FF offers, i.e. Sauna etc, but that's only when I have some time to kill and feel like it.

Soup_TT
27-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't know how many of you follow bodybuilding as a sport. But for those in the know, Ronnie Coleman is expected to make a comeback this year at the Mr. Olympia Competition....

In his own words: -

http://www.rxmuscle.com/videos/c-interviews/1090-ronnie-coleman-talks-comeback-at-the-2010-la-fit-expo.html

BiG SeXY
27-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't know how many of you follow bodybuilding as a sport. But for those in the know, Ronnie Coleman is expected to make a comeback this year at the Mr. Olympia Competition....

In his own words: -

http://www.rxmuscle.com/videos/c-interviews/1090-ronnie-coleman-talks-comeback-at-the-2010-la-fit-expo.html

OMG!!!!!!! my dreams have come true
I'm certainly going to touch myself over this tonight

Kurt
28-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Training Tonight Billy !

I decided to miss my Wednesday gym session and do it today for numorous reasons, I will be in Sydney Friday so no gym session + Insane Doms in my Hammies / Quads. So I thought it would be wise to get the days extra rest.

Squatted 75KG 3x10 on my first session back. That means 77.5 (Possibly 80) Tonight :D.

Workout is

Squat
Bent Over Rows
Bench Press
Military
Deadlift
BB Curls

Opinions, Mon - Wed - Fri. Should set up an awesome base for myself :)

Kurt
28-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Ooops I forgot :razz:

Someone can move it then :razz:

Kurt
28-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
Deadlift,
= Win.

Soup_TT
28-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah Buddy..... Light Weight eh Kurt...?

Looks good man, I just don't know how you can go all out on three of the biggest compound lifts on one night. Bench, Squat and Dead lifts... Lol, I do one of those exercise(s) and I'm seeing stars for the rest of the workout..

How long are you planning on keeping with this program before you start incorporating more isolation exercises and targeting other muscle groups more directly?

Also post up what weights and reps you did on the other compound lifts.

P.S. I'm still waiting for my email reply regarding your macro-nutrient break down.

P.P.S. Feel free to move this to the gym talk thread guys. =)

Kurt
28-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah Buddy..... Light Weight eh Kurt...?

Looks good man, I just don't know how you can go all out on three of the biggest compound lifts on one night. Bench, Squat and Dead lifts... Lol, I do one of those exercise(s) and I'm seeing stars for the rest of the workout..

How long are you planning on keeping with this program before you start incorporating more isolation exercises and targeting other muscle groups more directly?

Also post up what weights and reps you did on the other compound lifts.

P.S. I'm still waiting for my email reply regarding your macro-nutrient break down.

P.P.S. Feel free to move this to the gym talk thread guys. =)

Hey, I know... This workout is damn tough. I've only been able to make the first three lifts both times(Feel like throwing up). I was speaking to my dad about this before and as far as it looks i'm dehydrated. I've been drinking plenty of milk, but no water. Today all i drank was a 600mL bottle.

So I will have to up my water intake

I will continue to work on this program until i platue, which i'm assuming will be in 6+ Months. Or until

100KG Bench
140KG Squat
180KG Deadlift

Workout Is As Follows

3 x 10 Squats
3 x 8 Bent Over Rows
3 x 8 Bench Press
3 x 8 Military Press
3 x 8 Deadlift
3 x 8 BB Curl

Thursday 28/01/10
Squats
75KG x 10
75KG x 8
80KG x 8

Bent Over Rows
60KG x 8
60KG x 7
60KG x 6

Bench Press
60KG x 8
65KG x 7
65KG x 8 (Useless Spotter... Don't really count this set)

Military Press
N/a

Deadlift
N/a

Barbell Curl
N/a

ps. I finally have the internet at home so I will be able to reply to your emails properly now =].

KGB
28-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I have one Question .. Why

Keith: Should be a simple answer i doubt :cool:

Soup_TT
28-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Good work Kurt... Yes up the water intake.. I drink around 6 liters per day of water and this doesn't include water that you get from foods and drinks etc. You should probably aim for around 3 - 4 liters of pure water a day. Workout program looks good man.. Keep a log of how you go, it'll be good to see how you progress.. Don't be a pussy and cut your workout short.. Try to complete all the exercises and your sets. =)

Soup_TT
28-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I have one Question .. Why

Keith: Should be a simple answer i doubt :cool:

Simple question, but a very complex answer... Maybe this motivational quote that I have printed and stuck on my wall can you give you some sort of insight into my (and others) insanity.

"You are Idiots. All of you. I am too. You lift, you eat, you sleep, you progress. Have a ****ing cookie. Will this lifestyle take you anywhere? Get you that big promotion? Teach you about finances and how to change a flat tire? Every week, for hours of time that could otherwise be used productively, in the gym you sit. You lift. You drink tap water. You listen to music. You do not wear proper clothing. You grunt, struggle, risk injury, sweat, bleed, and walk out a beaten man. Recreation should ease the mind, not beat the body. Between your diet, your workouts, your rest, and probably for most of us our genetics, we will fail to reach the pro's 999 times out of 1,000. And that's being generous.

But you know what? The part that sucks the most? The salt on the wound? We know this. We know that it is unlikely we will ever set foot on an IFBB stage and stand medial deltoid to medial deltoid with the pros. We are aware, as a whole, that at 45 years old, if we are to be pulled over and arrested for impersonating a police officer, we will not get the Ronnie Coleman headline. Most of us will be working, sleeping, struggling to get by. Some of us may not make it that far. Others will drop this habit within the next few years. Some will grow fat, others will waste away to scrawn. This is something that is fleeting, youth and muscularity, gone in an instant.

And we fight. We fight everything. Gravity, when 405 pounds of iron is bestowed upon our backs and the only thing keeping it from crushing our bodies is our will to squat. Others, when we are so dedicated that those 95 pound dumbbells are not going anywhere until my sets of shrugs are done. Even our own bodies that we are trying to build and nurture, we fight. Not hungry? Too ****ing bad, here's 40 grams of protein, 10 grams of healthy fats, and 50 grams of complex, grainy, tasteless carbohydrates. See you again in 2 hours.

And this, my friends, is why we succeed. We do not give up. We do not back down. We do not succumb to temptations and the obstacles thrown our way. Every morning, at 5 am, while others may sleep, we train. After a long shift at work, problems with the girlfriend, life gives us lemons, and we train. We will not go pro, we will not be the next GQ cover and we will not make a name for ourselves. We do this for our own peace, our own good, our own satisfaction, and that is nothing that can be taken, even in the deepest of recessions."

Kurt
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Zacks First gym session tonight :P ahha, should be interesting !

Soup_TT
01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Lol, if he lifts right, he'll be in pain and soreness for the next two weeks. After that he'll be right...!

Is he training at PCYC as well..?? I thought he wanted to go to FF to look at the girls..????

spades
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM
lol watched pumping iron the other night. was pretty funny

NDIDDYSCHICK
02-02-2010, 06:39 AM
well did my first gym session in 4 wks yesterday (thank you party month)

ended up doing:

Warm-Up
30min run

Weights
Bench
30kg x 15
35kg x 12
40kg x 10

Bent Over Row
10kg x 12 (First time doing this)
20kg x 12
30kg x 12

Bicep Curls
3 Sets 25kg x 12

Tricep Extensions
3 Sets 20kg x 12

Cable Crossover
3 Sets 20kg x 12

Leg Press
50kg x 20
70kg x 20
90kg x 25

Warm-Down
Stretching

Now i know my weights for arm related exercises are no where near as good as you guys, but from my many years of sports, i realize my arms where never as strong as anyone elses, but my legs made up for it.

Now if you guys can give me any advice on what to change / add / modify that would be great.
Cheers

Soup_TT
02-02-2010, 07:07 AM
I would reduce the amount of time you do cardio as your warm up. Spend maybe 5 - 10 minutes on a low - medium intensity form of cardio as a warm up. I generally do 5 minutes on a treadmill working up to a speed of 6.5kph (fast walk). If you really want to do cardio to assist with the fat burning, do it after your weights session. De-prioritize cardio, prioritize your weights training.

Your workout schedule depends on how many times a week you are going to make it into the gym (seriously, don't cheat yourself here, if you can only go twice, don't plan for a 4 day workout schedule).

Try to incorporate some of the other compound movements as well, such a Squats and Dead lifts (you really need someone, i.e. a P.T. to help you with your form on this, otherwise you'll do more damage that good) and I see no exercise which specifically is targeting your Deltoids..???? An overhead Dumbbell or Barbell Press is a good movement for that.

P.S. Once you've done your cardio warm up, make sure you do your stretching before working your muscle group.. You need to sort of use your brain here and understand which muscle groups are being used in which exercise.

For example, before I start my set of bench press, I first stretch all the supporting muscle groups, i.e. Pectorals, Triceps, and Shoulders. I then do two warm up sets (20kg - Empty Bar & then 80kg). I stretch again (only because I've had shoulder problems in the past due to over training them and I'm anal about it now) and then do three working sets of 120kg. My fourth and last set is with a slightly less weight (i.e. 110kg). If I'm doing another Chest / Triceps exercise after this, I don't bother with the stretching because I've already done it. If I'm moving on to another muscle group, I repeat the warm up process and scretching.

Kurt
02-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Nathan, a couple of questions first,

Q/ Is this your workout every day of the week ?

Q/ How many days a week do you go to the gym ?

Q/ Why are there no squats / Deadlifts in there ?

I'll give you some answers here below(Assuming you train 3+ times a week).. As you have relitevly low lifts, and all of your lifts are classified as beginner lifts I would recomend that you go onto a Full Body 3 day a week program. There are plenty of Full Body 3 day routines on the internet, such as "Riptoes" which numorous people recomend. (Do your own research on this, plenty to choose from)

The Full body routine that I have currently started is as follows :

Workout. (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Squats -- 3 x 10
Bent Over Rows -- 3 x 8
Bench Press -- 3 x 8
Military Press -- 3 x 8 (Prefferably Standing, as it helps with core)
Deadlifts -- 3 x 8
Barbell Bicep Curls -- 3 x 8

This program will work you whole body and provide big strength gains / size gains.

If you decide on doing a split routine, here is one that I grabbed of bodybuilding.com, I found this to be a very well structures workout.

Day 1. (Monday) - Chest, Triceps, Delts
Bench Press -- 2 x 10
Close Grip Bench Press -- 2 x 10
Incline Bench Press -- 2 x 10
Dumbell Flys -- 2 x 8
Skull Crushers -- 2 x 8
Tricep Extensions -- 2 x 10
Dumbell Front Raises -- 2 x 15
Dumbell Side Raises -- 2 x 15

Day 2. (Wednesday) - Biceps, Back, Traps, Forearms
Barbell Bicep Curls -- 3 x 10
Concentration Curls -- 2 x 10
Pull Ups -- 2 Sets To Failure
Lat Pull Downs -- 2 x 10
Bent Over Rows -- 2 x 10
Wrist Curls -- 3 x 10
Barbell Shrugs -- 2 x 10
Calf Raise Machine Shrugs -- 2 x 10

Day 3. (Friday) - Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings & Calves
Squats -- 3 x 10
Deadlifts -- 2 x 10
Leg Press -- 3 x 10
Leg Extensions -- 2 x 10
Calf Raises -- 3 x 10
Barbell Lunges -- 2 x 10

Also IMHO 30 minutes for a warm-up is way to long, I usually just do a set with low weights (Possibly a 5 minute job before hand would be better). If you intend on adding cardio to your workouts do it at the end. But ultimatly do it on your off days, i.e.

Mon : Weights
Tue : Cardio
Wed : Weights
Thur : Cardio
Fri : Weights
Sat : Rest
Sun : Rest

Awaits billy's responce upon this. Please not i have typed this at work and have not spell checked / re-read through it. =].

NDIDDYSCHICK
02-02-2010, 11:38 AM
thanks guys for all the info.
lot there to process

my ultimate goal would be to go 4 days a week for maintaining/small improvements

i wanna remove the beer belly, and bulk up (doesnt everyone) thats why my cardio sessions are longer for a warm up.

atm, im prob gonna go 6 days a wk. Every second day will be weights on arms / chest / shoulders as these are my main bulking focuses, while the other days will be mainly cardio / leg weights.

and i know going the 6 days will help with the belly lose at the same time.

Kurt, in answer to your first question: Yes that is pretty much my workout session every time.

As for squats and deadlifts, just never got around the them, but after reading your posts in this thread and how it will help with the muscle groups i wanna work on, i will be adding those to my routine as well.

Billy, in all honesty, i thought with all the other exercises i were doing, the deltoids would have come in there somewhere as being used, but obviously not. LOoks like im gonna have to add them in as well.

Soup_TT
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
A few things to consider.

6 Days a week training is very very hard... I only train 5 days a week (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri & Sat) and I am destroyed after each session and at the end of the week. If you can train 6 days a week straight out you need to question how hard you are actually training every session.

As per Kurt's recommendation I would say stick to 3 days a week training. It's more manageable and you'll be better off for it. As time goes on and you get more serious, you can try more advanced training schedules which may require you to train 5 - 6 days a week.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about your actual workout programs and exercises, but why do I get the feeling that no-one really cares about nutrition.

Your nutritional plan ranks the same (if not higher) than your workout plan. How can you expect to lose body fat if you're not in a caloric deficiency at the end of the day..? How can you expect to gain lean body mass if you're not feeding the body what it needs and aren't in a caloric deficiency..?

It's not good enough to be taking "Protein Powders" and leave it at that.. Save your money on buying supplements and use it towards a house loan or something if that's the only effort your going to take as far as nutrition goes.

You can sit there and do hours and hours of cardio coupled with weights training, but you're not going to lose body fat unless you're in a caloric deficiency at the end of the day (i.e. you burn more calories that you consume).

I also don't understand how you're going to train legs and do cardio on the same day. Provided you're training your legs properly, you should be barely able to walk out of the gym, let along hop on a cardio machine. And doing a Cardio session before a weight lifting session is generally frowned upon.

I want you to forget what you know, or what you think you know about training, nutrition & recovery.

If you are serious about making changes, better than mediocre results, you need to start making some sacrifices and also doing some reading....

Knowledge is power..... =)

Start here: - (I know it's a long read, but you should be able to pull information regarding everything a beginner needs to know from these articles). It's very well written.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-2.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-3.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html

P.S. Don't take the above stuff personally. I'm just trying to point you in the right direction. If you want to look at yourself in 6 months time and have a slight sense of satisfaction and see results you need to take an active interest. Otherwise if you're just going to the gym and putting in a half arsed attempt to train and workout purely for the sake of satisfying your inner conscious about being "fit and healthy", you may be sorely disappointed down the track.

Meji
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
4 days a week is what you should be aiming for if you are just starting out whereas 6 days a week is what an athletic who is training to stay in peak condition.

Like Billy said warm ups are very important and you should consider doing this first and foremost before you get into your intense session, whether it be resistance training through to cardio.

A few reasons for the importance of warmup.

1. It raises your body temperature - which is one of the main factors for facilitating performance.

2. It stimulates the activity of the CNS (Central Nervous System) - this coordinates all the systems of the body, it speeds up your motor reactions through faster transmission of nerve impulses and improves your coordination.

3. Warmed up muscles move "faster" and generate force more effectively. The viscosity of the muscle protoplasm decreases with a higher body temperature which allows the protein filaments (actin and myosin) which make up the fibres to contract easily without resistance.

4. Warming up gradually increases your blood flow to your heart - this may decrease the risk of abnormal heart activity associated with sudden and intensive exercise.

5. During a warmup the body will distribute lubrication around the joints for easier movment and will adjust the levels of emzymes and hormones responsible for energy production.

DON'T SKIP WARMUPS!

Billy has already covered what is needed for a warm up. 5 to 10 minutes is enough, as long as you do light aerobic work utilising large muscle groups. Make sure you bring the intensity of your warmup at the end of your warmup to be close to the intensity of your training session. Aim for a slight sweat at the end of your warmup and you should be right.

Make sure to stretch your muscles just before you start your warmup and stretch them again just before your sessions.

Cool downs are just as important. As you work out intensively you are pumping blood at an increased rate compared to normal activities. Cool downs will help return the blood to the heart for re-oxygenation - this will prevent a pooling of blood in the muscles of your arms and legs.

This pooling of blood in your extremities places (away from your heart) will place unnecessary stress on the heart and may lead to dizziness and fainting.

To prevent this, just aim for at least 10 minutes for your cool down. Make sure to stretch all your muscles that were used in your training sessions with slow movement., especially the ones you worked hardest with.

Again it is your benefit to not skip a cool down.

And remember, drink lots of water during your day but not too much just before your workout. Make sure you get heaps of recovery time (A goods nights rest).

Meji
02-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Nathan, if you want to lose weight it's not about the amount of times you go a week, its about the intensity you put into your workout regime AND the food you put into your body. If you're going to the gym and not sweating, you may as well have takeout for dinner and watch TV as you've done nothing.

It's also just as useless if you decide to go the gym then absorb 40g of saturated fat (from a bigmac) after your workout or even eat that at all.

I'm not saying don't enjoy your foods, just moderate what you eat. Nuitrition is most important if you want to lose the fat/gain body mass through muscle.

By all means, go out and have a treat once a month but don't go overboard.

Give me a few more months when I'm more qualified and I can assess your fitness and write you a program for your goal.

Soup_TT
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Damn Meji..... Well written..

I'm hoping most of the stuff is just a "copy" + "paste" job.... If it isn't and you composed it all by yourself on the fly, I'm worried... Very worried.... I'm about to get PWNED in a few months time judging the way you're going....

Meji
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
It's what I've learnt in my 2 days... it's very interesting and therefore absorbed into my brain - can't be a PT if I can't do what I preach or know sh*t all about it :p

The next week I'm going through 150 different types of excerises...what fun haha!!

You would love it Billy, if you were in the classes, its like gym all over again and you come out with a degree :p

goracing
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
speaking of weight loss,

From jan 1, I have lost 7kgs approx...... no diet change, just excerise every 2-3 day....

Meji
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Good work Will, but don't go thinking you'll shed weight on that belief just alone.

For example losing the next 7kg will probably require you to work twice as hard if not more and probably a diet change. Because you're not obese to begin with it's quite fast to shed those kilos, but the question is, can you maintain it? Because you could be gaining those kilos you lost quite as fast as you did losing them.

goracing
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
meji,

I have a very good understanding on how to maintain fitness, etc. I have spent a fair amount of time a AIS. Mind you this was tailored to my sport and not in general.

I generally eat well, just drink to much and dont excerize anywhere near enough. i aim to be getting a houra day. but i need to work up to this so as i dont blow out.

Meji
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I wasn't having a go at you mate, just stating and adding to what you said when you said you lost 7gk since Jan 1.

That's generally the case for most people, they eat well, but drink too much or don't exersise enough - then they begin exersising and see immediate results at the start but it'll plateau if you don't keep it up or pig out. (again I'm generalising here and nothing is aimed at you)

Soup_TT
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Ronnie Coleman and all his funny, motivational (???) quotes..

8 x Mr. Olympia. This is the same guy that Steve was touching himself over earlier on in this thread.

If nothing else, it's pretty funny to watch him yell, scream and carry on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEMcQw7tHec

BiG SeXY
02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Receding to meji's post... I have never warmed up

Warming up is useless

NDIDDYSCHICK
02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Dont worry billy, my nutrition is not lacking.

I eat 6 weet-bix each morning,
protein shake for morning tea
bananas, tuna and salard for lunch,
protein again in the arvo,
some sort of meat, lots of vegies for dinner
casein shake before bed.

occasionally i switch out the meat and have pasta / rice & curry
and yes im known to have alcohol as well / maccas on my splurge days :D

i dont skip warm-ups and cool downs and i stretch thoughout (i belive i forgot to mention this :p)

im always pushing myself when i gym so i know my intensity isnt the issue. I used to do 10 sessions a wk of pro swimming so quick recovery is something im blessed with. I dont know what it is, but if i wait an hr after my most exhausting sessions, im ready to go agian.

oh and water, i have about 4L on a non-work out day so that isnt an issue either.

but i might have to take you up on that offer meji and get you to help out with a training program (as well as you billy if interested)

Soup_TT
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Leg Session last night.. The hardest workout of the week, but the most important...

130kg Squat for 6 & 5 reps
120kg Squat for 7 reps
110kg squat for 7 reps

Feels good man.. Legs are in excruciating pain today and are stiff.. D.O.M.S. (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a byproduct of a good workout eh... =)

zack
03-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I am sooo ashamed at the ammount that I sqautted at the gym on Monday and am still suffering!!!

Leg Session last night.. The hardest workout of the week, but the most important...

120kg Squat for 7 reps
110kg squat for 7 reps

Feels good man.. Legs are in excruciating pain today and are stiff.. D.O.M.S. (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a byproduct of a good workout eh... =)

Soup_TT
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I am sooo ashamed at the ammount that I sqautted at the gym on Monday and am still suffering!!!

Haha, don't be ashamed dude, at least you're in the gym squatting. I started out with 40kg squats back in the day.

I'm sore today and will be for a few days. I train legs again on Saturday... :D

zack
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Hahahahahahaha well there you go billy I dont think I even did 40kg's. I cant remember though! It was a dismal attempt.

Meji
03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Squats are tough work, I only just started so I'm holding them for about a minute lol

Kurt
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Holding them for about a minute ??

Meji
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah a squat, especially after doing an aerobics class and running around it freaking hurts.

Kurt
03-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm still confused, do you hold at the bottom of the squat for a minute ??

Kurt
03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Chicken + Mayo in a can (Taste = Fail)
per 85 Gram Serving.

Energy - 565kJ
Protien - 18.0g
Fat, Total - 6.0g
Fat, Saturated - 1.1g
Carbohyrates - 2.1g
- Sugar - 1.8
Sodium - 250mg

Meji
03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Bottom of the squat.

Kurt
03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
WTF, why ?

Meji
03-02-2010, 02:06 PM
It was one of those activities I had to do in class to see who could hold the longest but I didn't realise how hard it was to hold it for a minute.

Anyway, I'm getting some help from a PT on monday to start me off on my program, then as I go along I shall alter and eventually analyse and write me own...can't wait.

Meji
03-02-2010, 02:21 PM

120kg Squat for 7 reps
110kg squat for 7 reps

Here's a bit of extra information regarding DOMS (I haven't covered this yet in class its reading material for my next lecture)

Will appear 24 - 48 hours after strenous exercise due to microscopic tears in muscle fibres resulting in inflammtory response.

Strenous Exercise > Structural damage to muscle cells > calcium leaks out of sarcosplasmic reticulum > protease activition (results in breakdowns of cellular proteins > Inflammatory response > Edema and pain

Restoration of muscle glycogen after prolonged exercise takes 10 - 48 hours and for intermittent exercise (strength training) it'll take 24 hours

Removal of lactic acid from muscle and blood will take 1 - 2 hours

Recovery of an overly intensive strength training exercise will be 2 - 3 days.

Interesting eh?

PS Billy - Not copy and paste, just my interpretation of my notes. :)

Soup_TT
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Here's a bit of extra information regarding DOMS (I haven't covered this yet in class its reading material for my next lecture)

Will appear 24 - 48 hours after strenous exercise due to microscopic tears in muscle fibres resulting in inflammtory response.

Recovery of an overly intensive strength training exercise will be 2 - 3 days.

Interesting eh?

PS Billy - Not copy and paste, just my interpretation of my notes. :)

Keeping in mind that I am well versed in dietary nutrition and suffer when it comes to concepts surrounding exercise physiology, am I correct in assuming the above is a "good thing" as far as building lean body mass goes..?

Those microscopic tears will rebuild themselves (provide you ensure adequate protein and nutritionally intake as well as good rest and recovery) stronger than they were before hand thus resulting in muscle gains and strength gains..?

I guess I'm asking whether we should actually be aiming to workout to such a level that we experience DOMS post workout..?

NDIDDYSCHICK
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
did squats for the first time today.....
no with a bar, but more a bar on a guided rail. Same dif

10 x 20kg
10 x 30kg
10 x 40kg
10 x 50kg

So im happy with that,

Next time i shall start at 30kg.

Meji
03-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Not a straight forward answer but I'll try... Because you're doing strength training I'll try and answer it so you can gain some benefit out of it.

This would fall into the F.I.T.T (Frequency Intensity Type & Time) Principle.

FREQUENCY
You've already got the Frequecy down with your sessions...
* Optimal frequency should be 3 - 5 days a week for general population
* 3 - 4 days for people who haven't exercised in a while or their first program
* Professional atheletics will train 6 times a week with some days of multiple sessions

INTENSITY
Intensity (Defined as the amount of effort or work that is invested into your routine). You would require to have good balance between how hard you work so you can overload your body but not too hard as that you'll overtrain and damage your body/risk injury or burnout.

In saying that you will most likely recieve the soreness if you are doing this correctly (intensity) - if you're not feeling it (the next day) you're probably not working hard enough. Keep in mind as you recover (Rest period) your body adapts and will result in muscle gain and strength gains so you will need to gradually increase your intensity (Which is common sense really).

TYPE
Don't need to cover this, you're doing body building.

TIME
For health related fitness 20 - 30 minutes of moderate to high intensity is the optimal time.
Resistance training on the other hand, there are reports that indicate optimal effects between 20 - 60 minutes - My interpretation of that is go hard (Within reason) for the 45 minutes and you should be doing your body justice.

So yes, the D.O.M.S is a good thing to experience after an intensive workout. It will not damage you as long as you give yourself plenty of rest. "Complete Rest" is 10 hours, this will allow you to function at full capacity. If you don't feel it anymore with continuing sessions and not changing anything (ie more weights) then your body has adapted. It's not a bad thing to not experience it either so long as you keep the routine - if however you go up a notch you'll feel it again, adapt etc.

You can also help during the day by stretching your muscles that are sore - this will increase your blood circulation and lymphatic drainage (I covered this in the warmup post).

Also Billy, as long as you aren't feeling...
* Decreased appetite and body weight loss
* Muscle tenderness (Not soreness caused by D.O.M.S) as in hurts to touch
* Head colds and allergic reactions
* Occassional nausea
* Sleep disturbance
* Elevated heart rate (while you're not in the gym)
* Elvevated blood pressure
* Emotional instability

Then you are fine, keep up your routine. If you are feeling these, ease up a bit in the gym because you're overtraining.

Soup_TT
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM

It's called a "Smith Machine"... Bad idea.. Avoid it like the plague, especially while you're trying to get your form correct in the basic compound exercises.. Don't use it for squats, bench or any other compound movements... Only thing I can think of it being good for are "Standing Calf Raises".

Meji
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Again the above post is just an interpretation of my notes/textbook. I haven't covered this in class yet.

Meji
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
did squats for the first time today.....

10 x 20kg
10 x 30kg
10 x 40kg
10 x 50kg

So im happy with that,

Next time i shall start at 30kg.

Are you following a program set out to you?

NDIDDYSCHICK
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Are you following a program set out to you?

nah man just what i think might be good for me.

today was more legs orientated so squats seemed like a good idea at the time.

kinda doing a 1 week focus on 1 set of muscle groups one day then the next change muscle groups; and then the following week just on arms and stuff

Soup_TT
03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Excellent post Meji... Love your work.....

I do agree with the principle of adding weight to the bar over time.. The way I see it, if you're not adding more weight to the bar (doesn't have to be massive increases, even 2.5 - 5kgs) over time, you're not progressing..

I've actually read through your post 4 - 5 times to take it all in. Thanks for the information thus far...

Legs are still sore today, my workout today (Deltoids, Biceps and Triceps) suffered as a result of general fatigue from training legs yesterday and a bad nights sleep (bloody NZ calling at 4am in the morning). I'm cranky pants because I didn't get my 8 - 10 hours sleep.. =)

KGB
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Excellent post Meji... Love your work.....

I do agree with the principle of adding weight to the bar over time.. The way I see it, I didn't get my 8 - 10 hours sleep.. =)

So it only take,s sleep & adding weight to have a bod like yours .. :D

Are you going to tell us when you are going to compete just so we can come & athletically support you on the night ..

Keith: :)

Meji
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Glad to be able to help, I'm sure once I get more into it I can recite that on the spot and know it off by heart, still a student after all :)

I might need to ask you a few questions on nutrition down the track, still got a long way to go to pick it all up.

Anymore questions and I'll try to help out to the best of my abilities. :D

Soup_TT
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
So it only take,s sleep & adding weight to have a bod like yours .. :D

Are you going to tell us when you are going to compete just so we can come & athletically support you on the night ..

Keith: :)

Solid Nutrition Plan + Balanced Workout Schedule + Rest & Recovery + Motivation and Determination + An active interest in bodybuilding concepts & the sport of bodybuilding and you'll be on the right path...

Haha, let me get to a comp. level first then we'll see.. At the moment I would get laughed at if I walked on stage... :p

Meji
03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Speaking of on stage (Bit off topic too) but was watching So You Think You Can dance and some body builder was dancing on stage in DTs, muscly fellow but a decent dancer.

Hey Billy, got a question for you. What do you fill up on when you're eating a meal and not feeling full but not wanting to add more quantities. For example I've been having my 3 cups of veges and skinless chicken for the past week and I don't feel full so I have that again 3 hours later...

Is adding rye bread a good idea? White bread is a no no, brown bread is not as bad as white but still bad, wholemeal is better...is rye better than that?

Also I'm not on a carb cutting diet, so I'll probably add in pasta or rice once a week too, but just asking you since you're cutting?

Kurt
04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Why Focus On The Standing Overhead Press?

This is one of the reasons why the overhead press is better than the bench press… because you’re standing. Doing the Overhead Press in a standing position makes your “core” muscles — your abs, obliques, transverse abdominis, lower back and spinal stabilizers work harder in order to stabilize your body.
Plus, it’s a much more functional movement meaning it carries over into real life and athletics much more easily. I like to use this general rule when it comes to exercising: “Stand On My Own Two Feet”. Almost every time you have to use your strength or conditioning skills in real life you have to do it while standing, walking, moving, etc…
… There aren’t many times where you have to use your strength while laying on your back or sitting in a chair–so I mimic this as much as possible in my training and strength practices.
Why You Should Overhead Press

Besides the reasons listed above here are a few more reasons why you should overhead press NOW:

Total Body Exercise — Your whole body gets used like the squat (http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-squat)and deadlift (http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-form). Your shoulders, chest and arms press the weight while your core muscles and legs stabilize your body…
Builds Muscle — Because it works so many muscle groups, you build more lean muscle mass (http://doubleyourgains.com/blog/how-to-build-muscle-mass-your-complete-guide) along with strength…
Builds Strength — This is one of the best strength training (http://doubleyourgains.com/strength-training-101-get-strong-build-muscle-lose-fat) movements to build raw pressing strength
Good For Your Shoulders – Most guys have muscle imbalances from too much bench pressing. The bench works the front of the shoulders more… while the overhead press works all the shoulder heads equally. Muscle imbalances lead to injuries, so you should start overhead pressing now…
You Feel Cool – While everyone else is doing bench presses you’re picking a lot of weight off the ground and putting it up over your head http://doubleyourgains.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
Is Overhead Pressing Safe?

It may not seem like it at first, but it’s actually safer than bench pressing. If something goes wrong you can always just drop the weight down to your shoulders and then put it on the floor. Or if something goes really wrong you can just get out from underneath it and drop the barbell.
As long as you pay attention to the technique points in this guide and don’t let your overhead presses look like the picture of that guy up above (with the extreme back arch) then overhead pressing is perfectly safe and you should do it

Kurt
04-02-2010, 09:40 AM
For any changes to happen, be it fat loss or weight gain, strength or stamina, key ingredients are discipline and nutrition. It amazes me the ammount of people who think they can train for 2 hours a week and changes will happen instantly. Stick your head in the door of your local Fitness First, check out the physiques on the members, over 90% look like rubbish. Why. They train (sort of). Their all sweating. Theyíve got their lycra and headband on. Why do they look like ****. Discipline.

There are 168 hours in a week. If you train for 2-3 hours a week, that leaves 165 hours. Which do you think is going to play a more important part in your goals. Of course itís the 165. But thatís where everybody slips up. Because theyíve busted their phoofa in the gym for a couple of hours, they feel muscle will instantly materialise and fat will just melt off.

Iím guessing by now most of you have realised this isnt going to happen. It pains me to see clients killing themselves in the gym, training 100% harder than commercial gym lifters, yet week in and week out, their bodyís donít change. I have plenty of clients who have had massive changes. Tom has gained well over 10kg in around 3 months. Will has gained 8kg in 4 months. Ranesh has lost 14kg in 3 months. Brian has lost 13kg in 3 months. Zubi has now gained 6kg in 3 weeks. Amanda has dropped over 10kg. Pia dropped 8kg. Nick has gained 7kg. Chris has gained around 5kg. Matt has dropped 22kg. Jimmy went from 130kg to 91kg.. There are plenty more, but Iím only going to be satisfied when all my clients achieve similar results.

There is no magic potion. There is no secret excersise. There are no diet mysteries. There is no easy way. Its simple, but not easy. Most people find themselves in the shape they are because of themselves. We all know chips are bad, as are cakes, doghnuts, coke, ice cream, chocolate. But it amazes me that most trying to lose weight do not realise that bread, rice, pasta and potato are also bad. Even if they are brown. They are bad. Do not eat if you are overweight. Simple, but not easy.

Source : http://www.ptcfrankston.com

Kurt
04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Walking is not excersise, its transport, jogging is just faster transport, running is a sport, sprinting is best for fat loss. If you burnt fat whilst walking, why does every person you see walking for excersise look like they havent excersised for 30 years ? Because they havent.
When your goal is to lose fat, do not eat any processed food, period.
When your goal is too gain weight, eat lots of everything, especially protein rich foods.
If you cant use a weight without any assistance, you cant use that weight period.
If you cant squat for any reason, fix the problem rather than continuing to simply bench and curl.
If you cant lift heavy for an hour, spend time getting your muscle endurance and cardio up to speed by doing complexes with heavy weights for 15 minutes at the end of sessions.
You dont need a training partner to make progress in the gym.
Form is important on most excersises, on others, effort is more important. Quite often people use training weights that I consider too light for warm ups.
You wont die from doing Tabata, it just feels like it.
Real strength is displayed by picking up awkward objects, not simply barbells. Kegs, sandbags, kettlebells, rocks, logs make for an extremely productive workout.
If your skinny and you want to get big and strong, pick heavy **** up off the ground and overhead. If your fat and you want to get lean, pick heavy **** up off the ground and overhead. If you want to maintain, pick up heavy **** off the ground and overhead. If you want to get better at your sport, pick up heavy **** off the gound and overhead. Adjust your diet to suit your goals.

Getting the body you want is simple, but not easy.
I find if I charge for programs and diets, people tend to stick to them, if I dont, they dont.
Unless you ever plan to compete, you should gear your training to give you a better quality life. Concentration curls and kickbacks wont help.
Do your curls, just pick up heavy **** off the ground and overhead first.
You can increase intensity by doing the same workload you did last session, just do it quicker.
Intensity and duration are at opposite ends of the scale. You can train hard or you can train long, you cant do both.
Clean it once then jerk it twice.
Overhead squats will fix anyones squat technique.
Supersets allows for alot of work to be done in a short space of time.
If you dont have a squat rack, do overhead squats or front squats.
If your PT has never lifted heavy weights, chances are he wont be able to help you pick up heavy weights, but not always.
Powerlifts done with assistance gear is a totally different lift than what you do in the gym. Quad strength plays very little part in a big heavy squat. Spread you legs wide and stick your ass back if you want a heavy parallel squat. If you want big strong quads, keep your legs shoulder width apart and squat deep.
The best excersise for improving your piss poor military press is military press.
The best excersises for improving your bench press are too numerous. It depends on your weakness.
Total over 400kg before looking for special techniques. Get strong first
The best use for an excersise bike is to press it overhead.
Farmers walk will greatly help your grip.
The best way to work your core is to pick up heavy **** off the ground and overhead.
Before coming onto a car forum and asking for weight training help, have a look around first, make sure these guys know what they are talking about. Chances are you may even what you were looking for.
A weight belts biggest asset is the help it provides a weak mind. Lots of Olympic weightlifting competitions are decided on bodyweight, lifting is that close, so if a belt helped a lifter add 1kg to the bar, dont you think he would use one ? Pyroos Dimas has beaten Marc Huster on bodyweight on more than one occasion, so why dont either of them wear a belt if it helps ?
Olympic lifting shoes are the best footwear if trying to squat deep and correctly, Chuck Taylors allow you to stick your ass back for powerlifting.
Prepare your meals the night before to prevent buying your meals, which will be junk.
Brown bread is no better than white bread, except that white bread tastes better.
Girls lifting heavy weights will not get massive, but girls that dont lift heavy weights will get massive.
If the information that Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Gloria Marshall and Tony Fergusson is giving us is correct, why are we getting fatter, they, along with FF are doing booming business, but were moving up the fat charts, now were number one, I guess their job is done, they now have millions of clients, possibly for life. Their shareholders and owners must be proud, creating a client base to sustain their business for decades. And you thought Bill Gates was a baddie.
Wearing your cap backwards does not make you look cool in the street, but it does make you look like a moron in the gym.
Wearing sunglasses indoors is possibly the dumbest thing an adult can do. wearing them in the gym confirms you are a wanker.
Lifting weights does not stunt your growth, but not lifing will stunt your potential.
Dont listen to Ghosty.
Leave your mobile switched off when training, your not that important.
If your training partner touches the bar while your benching, smash him. If your training partner asks you to touch the bar while he's benching, smash him. Leave each others bars alone.
Leave the music out of the gym and leave the posing out of the nightclubs.
Just because you have some muscle, dont carry on like a muscle bound dick, you are type casting all of us.
When training, walk softly and carry a big stick.
Leave the posse to Allen Iverson, there is no strength in numbers, just a display of weakness.
You curl for show and squat for doe.
If you have to ask, is that deep enough, its not, in the squat rack or the bedroom.
The strongest lifters I have met are also the most humble.
The most arrogant lifters I've met are also some of the weakest.
Knowing the size of your bicep and telling people does not make it any bigger, but genuinely not knowing is a sign off correct lifting values.

Hopefully some of you can find something in amongst all those hints that may help you in your quest to a better, healthier body.
And Another. Love these Articles :P.

Source : http://www.ptcfrankston.com (http://www.ptcfrankston.com/)

Soup_TT
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Hey Billy, got a question for you. What do you fill up on when you're eating a meal and not feeling full but not wanting to add more quantities. For example I've been having my 3 cups of veges and skinless chicken for the past week and I don't feel full so I have that again 3 hours later...

Is adding rye bread a good idea? White bread is a no no, brown bread is not as bad as white but still bad, wholemeal is better...is rye better than that?

Also I'm not on a carb cutting diet, so I'll probably add in pasta or rice once a week too, but just asking you since you're cutting?

I'm not cutting at the moment dude, I'm in a "Mass Gain" / "Bulking" phase till April.

In terms of what you can add to a meal to help promote the feeling of "satiety" (i.e. fullness), there's a few things you can do.

1. Load up on water before, during and after the meal. Water helps to give a feeling of fullness and if you've consumed a meal with a respectable amount of soluble fiber, the water gets absorbed into the food and helps keep you full.

2. Fibrous carbohydrates are a great way to load up on food which will provide plenty of volume. My two recommendations are Broccoli and Cauliflower. To put this into perspective, a pound of Broccoli (i.e. ~450grams) is 130 calories.. One teaspoon of olive oil is around the same amount of calories.. Guess which is going to keep you feeling fuller for longer..???

3. Don't skip meals or starve yourself earlier on in the day. As much as it may feel like you're saving calories, it has a habit of catching up with you later on in the day and you'll binge on food, plus not eating for 5 hours plus doesn't do wonders for your metabolism.

4. The Satiety Index is another thing to have a bit of a look into. I'm sure you can find more information on this, but here's a start. http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

5. Nothing wrong with eating every 3 hours by the way. That's probably around the lower limit of how often you want to be eating, with the upper limit being ~5 hours.

6. I feel that for some bizarre reason training really blocks my appetite. My meals later in the day (after training) are really hard to chow down because I'm just not hungry. I seriously have to force food down my throat.

7. If you're really desperate I've heard that going on an EC stack will do wonders as far as appetite suppression go. Again, it's not something I would recommend at a rank beginner level, however it's something to keep in mind for further down the track.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Meji
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks heaps Billy, that helps out lots. :)

zack
04-02-2010, 12:03 PM
If your training partner touches the bar while your benching, smash him. If your training partner asks you to touch the bar while he's benching, smash him. Leave each others bars alone.

"The best use for an excersise bike is to press it overhead."

I laughed out loud :-)

Kurt
04-02-2010, 12:20 PM

"The best use for an excersise bike is to press it overhead."

I laughed out loud :-)

So did i hahahaha awesome.

Soup_TT
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Nice quotes there Kurt.. I think I need to print them out and add them to all the other motivational quotes I have stuck up on the walls around me...

Kurt
05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

Meji
05-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Pretty motivational there Kurt.

Supra-boy-
05-02-2010, 11:33 AM
mmmm donuts mmmm... that is all

55ASI
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I went to the gym, man my eyes hurt from the workout :p

Meji
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
mmmm donuts mmmm... that is all

Lol Gav, that doesn't tempt me one bit :p

How so????

JZA70 Limited
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM

i know what you mean, my gym has just increased in the number of "honeys" working out. only nearly dropped my weights once though.

55ASI
05-02-2010, 02:00 PM
How so????LOL Mejimite....dont tell me you dont check out any of the hot chicks there? Surely you should pull your head up from the weights and take a gander around haha...... Eyes hurt from perving:blob4:

Meji
05-02-2010, 02:35 PM
LOL Mejimite....dont tell me you dont check out any of the hot chicks there? Surely you should pull your head up from the weights and take a gander around haha...... Eyes hurt from perving:blob4:

Oh I get ya, there are a few girls around but I'm concentrating on my class and session most of the time lol

Soup_TT
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
For all those gym idiots who you see only training upper body and tell you not to worry about your legs because it's the chest, shoulders and biceps that "bring the bishes in" this picture may come in handy.... =)

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6093/gymsighting61207.jpg

55ASI
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
hahahaha "the bishes" hahaha - yer work on the legs boyz also :p

Ohh Billy, CAT and I have found your 'role model' hahaha - unfortunately I can't reveal this weapon till a later time....don't ask me, coz I wont tell :p give your brain some exercise too as well as your mus-cals lol

Soup_TT
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Ohh Billy, CAT and I have found your 'role model' hahaha - unfortunately I can't reveal this weapon till a later time....don't ask me, coz I wont tell :p give your brain some exercise too as well as your mus-cals lol

Hey hey.. You can't just leave me in suspense like that.... Who's the role model..?? I have many...

Jay Cutler..?
Ronnie Coleman..?
Jim Cordova..?
Layne Norton..?
Kris Gethin..?

Am I close..??? :confused:

Kurt
08-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Tonights Gym Session Was Absolutly Awesome ! Except for 1 Minor / possibly major hickup...

Monday 8th February

Squats:
Warm Up 1: 20KG x 10
Warm Up 2: 60KG x 4

Set 1: 80KG x 10
Set 2: 85KG x 10
Set 3: 90KG x 6

Barbell Bent Over Rows
Warm Up 1: 20KG x 8

Set 1: 60KG x 8
Set 2: 60KG x 7
Set 3: 60KG x 5

Bench Press
Warm Up 1: 20KG x 8

Set 1: 60KG x 8
Set 2: 60KG x 4 (Stopped Due To Shoulder)

(I haven't been benching much as my right shoulder in the front section really hurts when I take the bar down low, not 100% on what it is been happening for the last few sessions, i'm going to skip Bench press on Wednesday and hope for the best on friday)

Overhead Barbell Press
Set 1: 20KG x 8
Set 2: 30KG x 8
Set 3: 35KG x 7

(Very low weights this is my second time attempting this exercice so still getting used to form etc.)

Deadlift
(I've been taking Deadlifts very easy since i've been back as to make sure i'm confident with my from, sitting on the 60KG mark only.. Tonight being confident I decided to up it, with awesome results. [Watch Out Billy !])

Set 1: 70KG x 8 (Too Easy)
Set 2: 90KG x 8
Set 3: 100KG x 8

I felt that I still have a little bit more left in the tank, but i will start on 100KG wednesday !

Standing Bicep Curl
Set 1: 32.5KG x 8
Set 2: 32.5KG x 6
Set 3: Had enough decided to call it a night....

Still working on my Diet trying to sort it all out / Figure out how i'm going to eat all the food I can. Its going to be a struggle.

Kurt
08-02-2010, 08:47 PM
On another Note, I wouldn't mind this dog as a pet !

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1341/727663041_63325260bf.jpg

55ASI
09-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Hey hey.. You can't just leave me in suspense like that.... Who's the role model..?? I have many...

Jay Cutler..?
Ronnie Coleman..?
Jim Cordova..?
Layne Norton..?
Kris Gethin..?

Am I close..??? :confused:Nope! hahaha:D

zack
09-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Kurt, I got that iFitness iPhone application! It cost like $2.49!!! Bloody rip of merchants!!!

But will be handy as I can never remember what weights I was doing the previous session and obviously can't be relying on Kurt to remember all the time!!!

On a good note I have moved up to a 40kg squat for reps which is a vast improvement on the 30kg or whatever it was on my forst session that wrote me off for a week!

Kurt
09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Plus 55KG Bench :P hahaha

Soup_TT
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I spent too long (longer than most people) in the gym idiot phase.. That's the only reason why I bench almost as much as I squat and deadlift for reps.

WhiteKnight96
09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
yea i need a gym buddy... i go to fitness first and am planning on bulking up, let me know if anybody is keen as my current gym buddy has no want to go anymore...

NDIDDYSCHICK
10-02-2010, 05:44 AM
yea i need a gym buddy... i go to fitness first and am planning on bulking up, let me know if anybody is keen as my current gym buddy has no want to go anymore...

i goto the fitness first gym at carindale

WhiteKnight96
10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
i goto the fitness first gym at carindale

well man u got my number im free all afternoons but give me a buz anytime sometimes i get days of and things like that.

Kurt
10-02-2010, 09:58 AM
So Billy, we will have to do a Joint Training Session some time ! haha, Say in 2-3 Months when I start to get all my strength back.

Kurt
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
In my job I get lots of people sending me pics for diets, so I get to see a lot of lifters that are living in Crapville. They may take off to get to Buffville, but as the long indirect journeys continues, the destination blurs, and most end up in Fatville. Some may get close to Buffville, eventually, but they will move back to Fatville because life is easier there.
If you get to Buffville via the back streets, and visit towns like Drunkville and Stonedville, stopping at Weakville, you may not like the discipline that is enforced in Buffville by the town Sheriff, moving back to Stonedville where there is no Sheriff.
Most should simply stay in Crapville and save the petrol. I have met many people who come to the Travel Agency to buy a map for Buffville, they then realize it takes around 12 months, with no sightseeing, so the journey never starts. They may get in the car, but it never starts. Then there are others who take off for Buffville, but when they weigh up the costs, they turn back after 3 months, or simply move into Failureville, planning to move to Buffville, but never quite get there, stopping off at Pissedville or KrispyKremeville, and figuring that was good enough.
You see, I work in a travel agency. I have lots of people come to me for maps, but it seems map reading was never a priority at school for most, either that or their satnav is playing up. I have nearly run out of maps for Weakville and Ordinaryville, I have lots and lots for Buffville though.
It’s true that the scenic route to Buffville is interesting and exciting, but the chicks look so much better in Buffville, no muffin tops there, I can’t say the same for the chicks at Loserville though.
Maybe I should post up some holiday snaps of people who have come in for a map to Buffville or Strongville, only to never get there due to lack of discipline and purpose. The problem is that most people have no idea how long it takes to get to Buffville. It’s a good 12 months of solid driving. No time to check out the small towns like Smallville and Lazyville on the way, stopping at Drunkville will slow you down as it takes awhile to get out of there.
The best part is though, once you realize it’s a 12 month journey, and you commit, you can get there in 6 months if you go flat out and ignore the sign posts like, Party drugs here, Last stop for beer, Turn left for Disco biscuits. Upon arriving at Buffville, you will feel euphoric. You will feel you have accomplished something. Your neighbor’s, just 2 minutes away at Strongville will greet you on arrival and invite you over.
Now holiday planning in Buffville is exciting, as it only takes a weekend to get to Drunkville and back, as opposed to getting to Buffville in the first place, which is a much much longer trip. That what people who have never been to Buffville don’t realize. You don’t have to stay there indefinitely, you can take weekend holidays whenever you like, for you will always remain a resident of Buffville once you get there. Very few tourists reside in Buffville, seems no one wants to leave when they get there.
Pity so few make it. I don’t expect anyone that hasn’t been to Buffville or Strongville will ever understand. The road to Strongville is just as tough, but in another way. You will get battered and bruised on the way, its part of the fun. You will get some dreadful directions from people who claim to have been there. It’s easy to spot the ones that have, if you know what you’re looking for. Generally, a teenager will be clueless, he doesn’t even realize it exists. He lives in FitnessFirstville, a place that is filled with weak misinformed individuals.
They hop on these machines that spin up quite fast, bikes, rolling roads, moving stairs, thinking they will be at Strongville in no time, only to never get there, living out their years in Ignorantville instead. They search and search for Strongville, but they’re looking in the wrong place. It’s okay to move into Buffville if you don’t wish to move up to Strongville, Buffville is a very pleasant place, but they regard their neighbor’s at Strongville with awe.
It disappoints me to see people get so distracted on their journey. I know how hard it is. I also know the rewards that await those that get there. Life in Strongville is great. You make friends easy, guys want to be you, girls want to be with you, all seek advice from you. Life in Undisciplinedville is the exact opposite. You can kid yourself that you’ll move out of Undisciplinedville, seldom happens. Life is easy there. Why move. Nobody ever expects you to do anything or achieve anything. Life is simple, yet somehow empty.
I don’t expect those that have never been to Strongville or Buffville to understand, but come for a look, I know you will love it. Plan to take 12 months to get there, quicker if you’re really disciplined and stick to the main road. If you currently reside in Disciplinedville, I should be seeing you shortly.
I also know of girls living in Denialville. They think eating sweets will have no effect to the way they look. It may not while they are eating them, but collectively it takes a heavy toll. You can’t walk it off. Denialville is littered with overweight girls pumping their arms while they go on long drawn out walks. They should keep on walking till they reach Disciplenville, because until they do, nothing will change. They deny themselves pizza, fish and chips, because it will make them fat, but think nothing of drinking wine or eating chocolate. News flash. Wine has zero goodness, empty calories, at least fish or pizza has protein. These citizens are easily the most stubborn and ignorant. They come up with a host of different excuses. The problem is there are no schools in Denialville, myths are passed along from generation to generation, while gleaming over dessert menus. Not much sex in Denialville either, at least not with the lights on. If you are living there, move.
Moronville also has its share of problems. Leather, vinyl and lycra are in high demand. Gloves are worn 24/7, just in case something heavy needs to be lifted. You look naked if you walk the streets without a belt. Singlet’s and lycra are worn to church, all gathered around the preacher bench, waiting for their turn. Belts tightened, they burp out funny noises while pumping their biceps full of blood while simultaneously draining their brains of any intelligence they may have possessed. These guys don’t even realize that any other towns even exist. Life is bliss in Moronville. We don’t even have a branch there.

Markos……Travel consultant. On holidays at PepsiMaxville.
Source : http://www.ptcfrankston.com

Loved this news letter.

zack
10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
"On holidays at PepsiMaxville."

I am currently on Holidays here as well :)

zack
10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Do you recon that means it would be kewl to drink Pepsi Max at the gym? hahahaha

Soup_TT
10-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Haha, nice article there Kurt, was a good read..

I've currently got a property in FitnessFirstville and I think I'll retain that, however I'm interesting in also purchasing a second house in Buffville. I'm currently working towards this, maybe give me another 12 months or so and I should be moving house.

No plans to move to Stongville however (I'm an aspiring Physique Bodybuilder, not a powerlifter; lean body mass and strength only go hand in hand up until a certain point), but when you get a property there you'll have to invite me over for "Tea and Biscuits"... ;)

Kurt
10-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh, trust me Billy, i'm interested in Buffville. Just getting my foundation sorted out. Can't build a house with no foundation.

zack
10-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Kurt, I am residing in ilikeitwhenpeopletouchmybarville!

Kurt
10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
hahaha zack....

Cut your rest down, don't get under the bar when you feel "I'm ready" but instead when you feel, "I'm not ready, but I could do it if you held a gun to my head."

Kurt
10-02-2010, 01:31 PM
haha, that line is legendary..... Cracks me up still..

Kurt
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
SHAME ON YOU
.......For doing soft split body routines!

NOW GET TO THE GYM AND SQUAT!

http://pix.4gifs.com/gallery/d/162585-1/NicerQuads.jpg

Soup_TT
11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Lol, I saw that picture ages ago Kurt, it has been photoshopped... But as always, I'd hit it.... =)

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ewmaup.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/23w1aqg.jpg

Some of the above pictures may have been photoshopped.. Try to look beyond that and focus on the beauty of flared quads.... =)

I realize I'm probably going to cop a lot of flax.. But hey, different strokes for different folks right...?

disturbedfan
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
i bet you give those pictures a lot of strokes eh billy :D

zack
11-02-2010, 01:19 PM
http://pix.4gifs.com/gallery/d/162585-1/NicerQuads.jpg

Watch out Billy your 10 times in one day record is going down!!! :-P

Soup_TT
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
i bet you give those pictures a lot of strokes eh billy :D

Quit giving me ideas... ;)

Watch out Billy your 10 times in one day record is going down!!! :-P

I thought you didn't like chicks with abs and muscular definition..? Everyone piles up and gangs up on me on SF.com.au, but now you're all drooling over fit chicks.

zack
11-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Lol she has brown hair :-D

She isnt hell ripped like the examples you had given me Billy!!!

Kurt
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Billy that chick is smokign compared to your examples haha.

Meji
11-02-2010, 08:19 PM
What happened to the gym thread?

Soup_TT
11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Yes, Meji's right.. Back on topic guys...

Anyway, I thought I would post up an image demonstrating how to perform stiff legged dead lifts....

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9572/l90f95393098a455890e183.gif

spades
17-02-2010, 01:06 PM
oi billy apart from steroids, what supplements do u take?

Meji
17-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Are you looking to take supplements Spades?

If you aren't heavily into training then the right diet is enough. It's only if you require large amounts of protein (through training) that you would need supplements...as it goes down way easier in liquid form then trying to eat 10 eggs for example.

Soup_TT
17-02-2010, 08:20 PM
oi billy apart from steroids, what supplements do u take?

How did you know I ta.........

You idiot....

My supplement stack is not too over the top. Here's what I'm on.

(Fast digesting Protein) Optimum 100% Whey Protein - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

(Slow release Protein) Optimum 100% Casein Protein - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

(Multi-vitamin) Controlled Labs Orange Triad - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/orangetriad.html

(Creatine) Controlled Labs Green MAGnitude - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/mag.html

(Pre-Workout N.O.) USPlabs Jack3d - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/usp/jacked.html

I don't take any MRP's or RTD's, as I'm able to prepare my meals in advance and they are portable enough to take along with me when I'm having a day out of normal schedule.

If you're looking to order any of the above, you need to be wary of regulations regarding importing supplements. For the basic stuff like Whey and Casein you're better of buying in Australia, let me know if you want me to give you sites that I order from within Australia.

spades
18-02-2010, 09:01 AM
hmmm more extensive then i thought. we will have to have a convo in person i think
thanks for the info.

jarthy
18-02-2010, 10:30 AM
(Creatine) Controlled Labs Green MAGnitude - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/mag.html

i got a bit confused.. i at first thought that this stuff was for your hair... then i remembered it's spelt KERATIN.

just out of curiosity... what does Creatine do? there were too many big words on the linky

disturbedfan
18-02-2010, 10:50 AM
from my extremely limited knowledge bank of gym stuff, i believe creatine makes your muscles absorb water, thereby helping in some way to increase your strength, helping you to lift bigger weights and increase your strength. however, as soon as you stop taking it, you won't retain that water, but will be left with the increase in muscle mass from lifting the heavy weights. *sits back and waits to be corrected :D*

Soup_TT
19-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Ryan pretty much hit it on the head. I want to quote some stuff from a book I'm reading, so I'll post an update later on.

Soup_TT
19-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Good price for ON Whey...: -

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/product.php?productid=13224&cat=0&page=1

10lbs package, make sure you get a flavor that you'll like otherwise you'll be screwed over trying to finish it all.

Soup_TT
21-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Dead lifted 140kgs & Leg Pressed 360kg (9 plates a side) today for reps with good form (from what I can tell).

My secret.....??

Extract the Audio from this video clip, put it on your MP3 player, and start lifting when Sylvester Stallone starts talking.... =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEkz1XK75XE

Soup_TT
23-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Supplements arrived today... I was a bit worried as Customs had them for around 3 - 4 days, but everything got through all good.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6381/23022010284.jpg

KGB
23-02-2010, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Soup_TT;118158]Supplements arrived today... I was a bit worried as Customs had them for around 3 - 4 days, but everything got through all good.

So the Steroids are hidden in which one ?

Keith: :rr::)

Meji
03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
So Billy, what have you gotten in those suppliments?

Also, what's your reason on your daily intake of food, it seems to be low on CHO. ;)

Mr_BeX
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
so the supra club went broly eh.

I have been spying on this thread for a little while now... good work gents :)

Soup_TT
06-03-2010, 06:27 PM
So Billy, what have you gotten in those suppliments?

Also, what's your reason on your daily intake of food, it seems to be low on CHO. ;)

Nothing too extreme dude, just my quarterly supply of multi-vitamins and pre-workout N.O. supplement.

I don't want to go nuts on my carbohydrate intake. I'm already pounding down enough calories as it is, and I'm following the 40/40/20 (Protein / Carbohydrates / Fats) breakdown of calories. I am steadily gaining at around 500grams - 700grams per week, so not doing too badly.

Unless you can educate me why I need to incorporate more carbs, or link me. (Keep in mind my current weight and "estimated" bodyfat% levels).

Soup_TT
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Need motivation to start lifting, this video will help.. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZnLQ79MiC4

Meji
07-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Personally I think your carbohydrate intake is a bit low with the amount (I'm assuming here) of work you do in the gym. Lean mass is actually increased by following a high carbohydrate, moderate protein and low fat diet combined with resistance training. For you Billy, your daily CHO intake should be 7g - 10g per KG of your BM.

Protein is what builds your muscles up but if you deplete your carbohydrate stores it means your body will break down the proteins (in your muscles) to convert them to carbohydrate - literally making you smaller (Or slowing down your hypertrophy rate in your case). Breaking down proteins is alot harder for your body to break down compared to carbohydrates too(more work on your poor liver). Carbohydrates on the other hand are readily available. For you Billy, your daily protein intake should be around 1.2g - 1.7g per KG of your BM depending on how hard you actually push yourself in the gym.

If you don't include enough carbohydrate in your diet you'll probably feel more fatigued due to low blood glucose levels and can suffer metabolic abnormalities, especially in electrolyte or body salt levels which control nerve and heart function. Also with low carbohydrate intake, your body actually draws less nutrients from your fruit, vegetable and grain foods (not to mention the supplements you're taking).

Are you doing any cardio work while in the gym? If so, how much? If you aren't could I recommend you put maybe a day into your schedule for cardio work? This will make your body run more efficiently (as it gets fitter) meaning you will see more/quicker improvement in your resistance training (because you're fitter and able to lift more thus quicker improvement in your body shape). Think of it as adding more horse power (energy) to your body instead of ricing (body size) it up.

As you can see, there is a huge amount of myths on the internet stating if you want to get big you have to consume more protein in your diet. Load of crap. If you don't consume enough CHO then your body breaks itself down to create more - making you smaller or slowing down the rate of which your body increases in size.

Which brings me to supplements, WPI (Whey Protein Isolate) supplements are a sham, a big waste of money and is an overhyped marketing scheme targeting "gym idiots" and it's working. Your protein intake from your daily intake of food should be enough if you're eating right. It's only if you start having trouble actually consuming the quantities of food for your protein intake should you step up to supplements. Multi-vitamin supplements are actually better for you, so if you need to don't get WPI. Like I said, why push your liver more than it needs to be pushed.

Anyway hope that helps. Better head off to bed. :)

Soup_TT
09-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Sorry Meji, I'm not ignoring your post.. I will come back and give you my thoughts and opinions, just not yet, I'm flat out all day long.

It's one of those posts which you really want to think through and answer properly, not just answer on an ad-hoc basis. I will get around to it.

Thanks for your insight, I have read it 4 times over the last few days.. =)

Meji
09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
No worries Billy, everything in here is to try and help you guys out. Also don't take my word as gospel as there are numerous ways to train and eat, my method was taught to me by a few personal trainers and scientists with 20+ years experience - so I would like to take their word over something I've read on the internet. I'm sure you have very good reasons to be on your 40/40/20 diet Billy. :)

In saying that there are methods of losing fat with all resistance training only but cardio works alot better for most people (ie beginners).

Any questions feel free to ask. :)

dan_brooks
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Hmm I opened theis thread whilst eating my giant caramello koala...

*leaves*

Kurt
23-03-2010, 08:07 AM
CAFFEINE KILLS
Okay, I know this article won't be popular. Most of us are so addicted to Caffeine that we don't want to know about it. I am writing this because when "Caffeine Blues" came out I just knew I had to read it. Several years ago I began to realise that coffee was much worse than we had been told, because I noticed that I got an arthritic pain in my wrist within ten to twenty minutes of a cappucino!

This book didn't just tell me how bad coffee was - it told me how GOOD I would feel once I was totally caffeine free for two months. Somehow, this book sold me on giving it a try. And it was right! For example, I no longer have the drained feeling that I sometimes used to get in the mornings.

This is one of the best health books I have ever read. It is written by Stephen Cherniske who is a Clinical Nutritionist. "Caffeine Blues" is incredibly easy to read, and convincing. After reading it I realized that caffeine does NOT give us energy. In fact, it is a major CAUSE of LACK of energy.However, he explains that this drug is so powerful that one needs to go for three weeks to two months without any caffeine before one notices the difference. And how many of us have ever done that? Hardly anyone.

Caffeine is also a major cause of heart attacks and cancer.

As Cherniske waded through the tons of information on caffeine, he began to see that consciously or unconsciously nearly every researcher starts from the assumption that caffeine is okay. Why? Probably because they themselves depended on caffeine.
Caffeine is in coffee, black tea, green tea, oolong tea (wu-yi tea), 'decaffeinated' coffee and tea, chocolate, colas, chuppa-chups, many sodas, some drugs, most 'energy' drinks and guarana.

A 6 oz cup of:
Percolated coffee has about 120 mg of caffeine
Black tea has about 70 mg of caffeine
Green tea about 35 mg of caffeine
Leading colas 45 mg of caffeine
Mountain dew 54 mg of caffeine
Brewed decaf has 5 mg of caffeine
Milk chocolate has 6 mg per ounce
Baking chocolate has 35 mg per ounce.
Caffeine is produced by more than eighty species of plants. The reason may well be survival. As it turns out, caffeine is a biological poison used by plants as a pesticide.
Caffeine is considered harmless simply because it is so widely used. Dr William Dement in his book "The Promise of Sleep" said that if caffeine was introduced today, it would not be allowed.

There is a brochure available in hospitals and other medical related areas: "What you should know about caffeine" published by the International Food Information Council (IFIC) in Washington DC. After many phone calls Cherniske finally got a list of 'supporters' of the IFIC. The list included Pepsi, Coca-Cola, M&M, Nutrasweet, Nestle and Hershey - all of whom have caffeine in their drinks and foods. 'Partners' of the IFIC included groups such as the National Association of Pediatric Nurses and the Children's Advertising Review Unit of the Council of Better Business Bureau Inc. This brochure says that "Caffeine is normally excreted within several hours after consumption". In fact, only 1% is excreted. The remaining 99% has to be detoxified by the liver.

It can take up to 12 hours to detoxify a single cup of coffee.
Many studies regarding coffee and hypertension were flawed, because the test studies came off coffee for only one or two weeks. It takes many more weeks than this for stress hormone levels of the body to return to normal.

The 'half-life' of a drug is the time it takes the body to remove one half of the dose. Caffeine is a drug. The half-life of a single dose of caffeine ranges from three to TWELVE hours.

Caffeine puts your body into stress. A single 250 milligram dose of caffeine (the equivalent of about 2.5 six ounce cups of coffee) has been shown to increase levels of the stress hormone epinephrine (adrenaline) by over 200%.

Caffeine triggers a classic fight-or-flight reaction. The fight-or-flight response was designed for events that happened only occasionally (such as a lion chasing you). Now, we put our body in fight-or-flight every day with caffeine!!! Since we are in society, we don't respond in a fight-or-flight way. Instead, other things may happen. For example, sugar and fat get dumped unused in the bloodstream. The sugar creates more stress. The fat clogs the arteries. The digestive system slows or shuts down.
Not only is caffeine addictive, it also encourages other addictions to substances like nicotine.

Caffeine does not give you energy. It stimulates your nervous system and adrenals. That's not energy, that's stress. Imagine going to a bank for a loan. The loan officer agrees to your loan. But as you leave the bank you notice the fine print - the loan has to be repaid at 75% interest! The 'energy' that you think you get from caffeine is really just a loan from the adrenals and liver, and the interest you have to pay is very high.

Stress is a major factor in disorders such as anxiety, insomnia, depression, ulcers, rheumatoid arthritis, headache, hypoglycemia, asthma, herpes, hypertension and heart disease. And yet hospitals provide coffee and tea, which put your body into stress!!!

DHEA is our vitality hormone. Decreased levels of DHEA is a cause of aging. Caffeine consumption leads to DHEA deficiency. Caffeine is an AGING DRUG!
Caffeine lowers the stress threshold in virtually everyone. That is, if you have had caffeine, it will be easier for you to suffer from emotional stress or other stress. (Therefore, when research is done that is designed to show how safe caffeine is, any test subject who is under significant stress is removed from the study).
Caffeine is implicated in ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome: GABA is produced in the intestinal tract, where it calms anxiety and stress. Caffeine disrupts the normal metabolism of GABA.

Caffeine disrupts sleep. Deep sleep is CRITICAL to good health. When there's caffeine in your bloodstream, you are unlikely to experience deep sleep at all!
Caffeine AT ANY TIME of the day can cause sleep problems, especially if you are under stress.

Malnutrition is one of the most well-defined effects of habitual caffeine intake.
A single cup of coffee can reduce iron absorption from a meal by as much as 75%.
People do not develop a tolerance to the anxiety-producing effects of caffeine. Rather, people simply become accustomed to the feelings of stress, irritability and aggressiveness produced by the drug.

Caffeine contributes to depression in well-defined ways. This is particularly due to the withdrawal effect, which can cause headache, depression and fatigue, even in light users (p. 111). Cherniske reported that 90% of people who came to him who suffered from depression and gave up caffeine completely for 2 months reported that their depression went away!

If you are a coffee (or tea or cola) drinker, you may be thinking, "Well, I drink coffee and I'm not depressed." It's necessary to state that everyone is different, and also that depression can be subtle. Throughout the book, Cherniske suggests that you will never know the full effect the drug is having on you until you experience what life is like caffeine free (which takes two months to do). Over the years, Cherniske has heard similar responses from hundreds of clients: "Wow, I never realized that caffeine made me so (select one: anxious, depressed, irritable)."

Students the world over use caffeine not only to stay awake, but also they believe the drug will improve their performance on exams. Solid research, however, illustrates that as little as 100 milligrams of caffeine (one cup of coffee, two cups of cola) can cause a significant DECREASE in recall and reasoning.

When people are relaxed and given caffeine, caffeine does not raise blood pressure significantly. But how many people are relaxed? When people are stressed and given caffeine, blood pressure is raised significantly.

Women who consume more than 24 ounces of coffee (6 moderate cups) per day had almost twice the risk of heart attack compared to non-coffee drinkers. Moderate coffee drinkers with high cholesterol had more than seven times the risk of heart attack, while heavy coffee drinkers had eighteen times the risk of non-coffee drinkers!
Part 1. *****

Kurt
23-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Caffeine depletes your supplies of thiamin and other B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc.

Caffeine increases calcium loss and risk of osteoporosis.

In one large study, the risk for hip fracture for those women who consumed the most caffeine was 300% greater than it was for the group that consumed little or no caffeine.

Take the Challenge! Most people have no idea what life would be like without the background of caffeine and stress hormones coursing through their veins. Even if you're only having a few cups a coffee, chances are your personality is affected in ways that may be too subtle for you to associate with caffeine. I want to encourage you to conduct a trial period without caffeine. You owe it to yourself. And your family. It could save your life.

Don't' go 'cold turkey'. To avoid headaches etc. when giving up caffeine, Cherniske recommends taking up to six weeks to come off it. Drink the same NUMBER of cups, but each week reduce the strength or amount in each cup.

There is lots more information in this very easy-to-read and highly interesting book. 440 pages. Read this book and you won't need to spend so much on supplements!

UPDATES:
I have been truly amazed at the high number of 'scientific studies' that have come out since the publication of "Caffeine Blues" which supposedly show how chocolate and even coffee is good for us. I guess the chocolate / soda / coffee industry felt threatened enough that they had to pour money in to solve this new 'problem' of theirs.

As I read each study, I am reminded of the most memorable day during my Bachelor of Science degree at Sydney Universtiy. Professor Tony Underwood told our 3rd year Zoology class to get out one of our text books, and turn to a page which had a particular scientific study on it. He asked us, what had that study proven?

We gave the standard answers. But then the professor got all fired up and said, "No!". He explained how every scientific paper is set up to prove a particular point of view. But the truth is usually that you have to look at a particular problem from all angles. There were many, many other possiblities as to the truth of that study.

The same with these new 'studies' which appear to support caffeine. When you look closely, they will NOT say that caffeine enhances your health and long-term wellbeing. They will say something like a particular part of chocolate is good for you, but not all of chocolate, or that coffee helps reduce some particular kind of cancer - presumably because the person will be likely to get some other disease first instead. And they will ignore any other symptoms that may appear, especially long-term ones.
Remember, caffeine is an AGING DRUG.

Based on a book called Caffeine Blues which was written by clinical nutritionist Stephen Cherniske.

Ok i will put it simple for you..

Caffine increases cortisol

Cortisol reduces DHEA

DHEA anabolic hormone we want to have alot of, more potant then Test.

That is not BS just simple physiology.

Post 1:
I take a strong cup of coffe before my workouts.

Gets my heart pumping in a panic as I approach the squat rack. Seems to help my lifts.

But is that just stress hormone surge?

Anyway thanks for posting that article.

Responce:
JDizzle, do you know the meaning of the words sophisticated, controlled, measured, balanced, just right (okay I cheated, that's two words but let's continue), off loader (done it again!), thief. Okay, I'll stop here.

I said all the above just to answer you question with a bit of emphasis as to why you heart was jumping in panic mode as you approached the squat rack.

So why?

Because caffeine does not know the meaning of controlled stimulation of your adrenal gland, no Sir, it's like: "come on, I smashed your door down Mr. and Mrs. Adrenal Glands, I need you to flood, yeh FLOOD that sucker with adrenaline and just stimulate his central nervous system any way any how just bloody do it alright!!!"

That was Beast caffeine screaming his head off at your adrenal glands to pour adrenaline into your blood stream. Now here's the bad part and why I called it a thief. Caffeine does nothing of its own when it comes to adrenaline. In other words it itself does not help in the biosynthesis of adrenaline; it does not help in refilling the adrenaline pool if you like.

Well wouldnít you like to know of something that does just that and at the same time give you the stimulation that caffeine gives you, albeit through a different pathway? I knew you would. That would have to wait for an article by itself on the alternatives to beast caffeine...coming soon to Ausbb.

Now I'm heading off to training starting at 5:30am.

Question:
To sum it all up Fadi... if muscle is your goal quit caffeine however if fat loss is your goal 2green and 2 white if any. I've gone 3 days without any caffenie now and I'm feeling great.

Answer:
Gauche,

There's no problem whatsoever in taking in white or gren tea. I'm going back and forth between this forum and another, so here's a copy and paste of an answer I had given 2 hours ago on the question of caffeine...

1. Taking caffeine would raise your cortisol levels.

2. Cortisol is a hormone that is responsible for storing fat.

3. Caffeine has been found to facilitate the break down of fatty acids to be used whilst at the same time conserving glycogen levels

4. Cortisol does the opposite of #3 above in addition to facilitating amino acid break down, which = muscles.

5. To have your adrenal gland secrete adrenaline naturally due to the excitement of going to the gym and having a workout is different from forcing your adrenal glands to do the same thing uncontrollably due to caffeine stimulation. One is being measured by your own smart body, whilst the other has been forced upon it. In other words, you may have had a bad night sleep and your training would have been less than ideal (that day due to adrenal fatigue); so instead of giving the body what it needs, you do the exact opposite by further depleting your adrenaline pool and further raising your cortisol levels; not a smart move I'm afraid!

Now Iíve just mentioned #5 once here to illustrate for you a not so unusual scenario. The only thing I did not do above is times it by 100+ times this scenario is repeated. And then the bodybuilder wonders why heís finding it damn hard to put on any muscles when heís ďtraining hard and properly all the timeĒ! So you see, artificially raising your workoutís intensity may not be what the doctor has ordered. If a bodybuilder wants caffeine, my advice to him would be to obtain it through white and green tea, both of which have a caffeine balancing act due to their levels of polyphenols and L- Theanine.

6. Now as long as your adrenal glands are in tip top shape and functioning properly, then they can automatically regulate cortisol and keep it in the appropriate range. But the question is, are they and if so then why would a bodybuilder need to resort to caffeine to stimulate his adrenal glands (which are supposed to have been working properly remember)? This is as much about health as it is about building muscles and losing fat as far as Iím concerned.

7. Insulin assists amino acid and glucose transport into muscle cells and blunts cortisol release.

8. Cortisol does the opposite of #7!

Fadi.

Kurt
23-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Have Fun Reading =]

melly
25-03-2010, 01:22 PM
WAY to much time on your hands................... lol

but very interesting.. :P

Kurt
13-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Ha, thanks. This thread is dying and to keep people interested i want whore heaps of information, just an interesting quote:

"Light Days; What is that? Some kind of tampon?"

Kurt
13-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Meji,

Got a question for you ! And you personal training guruness haha.

ATM I am completing a full body gym session three times a week. Mon - Wed Fri. But I have two goals that I would like to complete by the end of the year, without greatly effecting my abilty to gain mass.

I want to be able to copmlete the following.

Beep test of 9/4 or Greater

2.4KM Run in around or under 10.30 Minutes.

I have not completed either of these tasks yet but i was thinking of doing something like this.

Week 1
Monday - Gym Full Body
Tuesday - Beep Test
Wed - Gym Full Body
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Gym Full Body
Saturday - Rest
Sun - Rest

Week 2.
Monday - Gym Full Body
Tuesday - 2.4 KM Run / Jog.
Wednesday - Gym Full Body
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Gym Full Body
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Opinions.

Meji
13-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Meji,

Got a question for you ! And you personal training guruness haha.

ATM I am completing a full body gym session three times a week. Mon - Wed Fri. But I have two goals that I would like to complete by the end of the year, without greatly effecting my abilty to gain mass.

I want to be able to copmlete the following.

Beep test of 9/4 or Greater

2.4KM Run in around or under 10.30 Minutes.

I have not completed either of these tasks yet but i was thinking of doing something like this.

Week 1
Monday - Gym Full Body
Tuesday - Beep Test
Wed - Gym Full Body
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Gym Full Body
Saturday - Rest
Sun - Rest

Week 2.
Monday - Gym Full Body
Tuesday - 2.4 KM Run / Jog.
Wednesday - Gym Full Body
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Gym Full Body
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Opinions.

Kurt,

Giving yourself a goal with this much time is fantastic, with just under 9 months to spare you should be able to train yourself up.

As for being able to run 2.4km in 10 minutes 30 seconds and a Beep Test better than 9.4 you should be able to achieve that without affecting your body mass too much. Keeping in mind what you want to achieve is cardio-vascular fitness. You will need to train your body to run more efficiently (ie Heart Rate and Aerobic Threshold) as oppose to strength and hypertrophy (Bulking).

Looking at your plan of attack, are you doing any cardio work while in the gym? The Beep Test is good to use as training but what is your current level of fitness? How would you rate yourself if you were to run it and what time do you currently do the 2.4km?

With your jogging/running are you mostly jogging or running? Do you walk at all? I'll need to know a bit more about your fitness levels before I can give you a decent answer.

Also if you like you could even use Sunday as training for your running. I could suggest interval training and say try to complete 2.4km as quick as you can, assess yourself (How much of it was running/walking/jogging?). You could try running say 80% for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute and repeat until you're feeling you can run all the way. I wouldn't just go to 2.4km either. I would aim for maybe 3km-3.5km say after 6-10 weeks and see where you are. If you can keep the pace up to 3km-3.5km then you can build intensity too and you'll do the 2.4km with ease.

Hope that little bit of insight heaps. Remember, you're fitness is only good if you fuel your body correctly too.

Any questions or anything you're unsure about what I wrote, just ask. Best of luck buddy.